Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay On Course

1 50.00%
  • SkipAhead

1 50.00%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By katshu2

Thread: 4 year old way advanced what do I do?

justinsdad1 is offline Junior Member

Default 4 year old way advanced what do I do?

I hav 2 children on time4learning
    My son is 8 and is in 3rd level and things are starting to become a bit challenging which is excellent
    However our 4 year old daughter who has been reciting her alphabet in 2 languages since 1 year 8 months old ! Is cruising through level 1 Math and Reading like its not there ! So easy,excellent pronunciation , math in her head .................She is getting bored.She used to like having 3 or 4 lessons , but now 1 suffices because it doesn't challenge her. We are talking about a 4 year old that reads books, is Green belt in Tae Kwon Do (for 7 months now and will be Blue belt before she is 5 according to her instructor) and surfs the internet finding learning games on her laptop,like spelling and math! Anyway , you get the picture. She won't be 5 until November. So do I continue on T4L with the lessons in order to keep the flow and give her the basics or do we skip ahead to possibly level 2 and challenge her?

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

If it were me, I would totally skip ahead! That's one of the benefits of homeschooling...each child learning at their own pace. Honestly, if she's that advanced, place her in 2nd grade for all subjects. If you do that, she will automatically have access to all of the subjects/materials for 1st, 2nd and 3rd grades. If the 2nd is too hard, she can bump down to 1st (at her discretion) if she needs to. If the 2nd grade activities still aren't challenging her, she can try her hand at the 3rd grade stuff.
    justinsdad1 likes this.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

justinsdad1 is offline Junior Member

Thank you , I appreciate your input. I suppose I could always go back. Just not being a professional, I dont know which BASICS she may not get. Today I was cooking , had Garlic in my Hand, i Said Marlin Spell Garlic , G A R L I C
    This little girls FIRST language is Spanish also ! In Spanish its AJO ! She is Blowing me away ! Every Lesson is , "this is easy Dad".

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. Very young children need a lot of repetition. My own kids talked about nothing but George Washington for a couple of weeks after we studied him in first grade. When we started reading about U.S. Presidents the following year, I begain by saying, ". . . and, of course, you know about George Washington . . . "

They said, "George WHO?"

They had completely forgotten about him. A year is a long time to a young child. That's why most curriculum will have the student studying the same things each year, going a little more in depth each time.

A couple of my kids could read very well when they were three. By the time they were in middle school, there wasn't a lot of difference between them and their brothers and sisters who learned to read later.

This is just a caution that it's difficult to predict whether a child who seems advanced when they're a preschooler will remain ahead of the game. Chances are, she will remain quite bright, but she might not always blow you away with her academic performance . . . and that's just fine!

I'm aware of a student who was placed in higher and higher grade levels because she always received 100% on her tests. When she reached the fifth grade level (at a much younger age than most fifth graders), she began to struggle, because she had never learned some of the basic concepts at lower grade levels. Her parents and teachers assumed she already knew the material and skipped her ahead, but that wasn't the case at all. She scored well on her tests because she learned quickly and well . . . not because she already knew the material. She had to review some very basic math skills before she could go any further in math.

With all that said . . . parents know their children best! I just wanted to give you something else to think about when you made your decision. All the best to you and your bright little girl!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Robin is offline Senior Member

My daughter is also advanced, but I still made her continue through her lessons because it was hard for me to tell what she really knew. She taught herself to read at 3 and now at the age of 5, reads at a 4th-5th grade level. I don't know if it's the right thing to do, but I had her work through the phonics because I was afraid there was something that she would miss. Sure enough, there were some blends that she just didn't know, so she had trouble sounding out harder words. But she could breeze through most tests so I wasn't aware. Maybe you can work through the material, but not spend too much time on it.

susykins is offline Junior Member

My kid was the same way. You can skip ahead and see how she does. You can always move her back a bit if you find she doesn't like it or wants to take it slow. That's what happened to us. We skipped ahead, and then moved back a bit, because even though he knew the material, he was not ready for it because of his age, but then we skipped ahead again once he was a little older.

The nice thing with T4L is you can skip ahead in one subject, but keep her at grade level at another subject.