5 Year old about to be 6. New to Homeschooling help please!
    KatieMarie is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default 5 Year old about to be 6. New to Homeschooling help please!

I have been doing a lot of research lately trying to get an idea of how to start homeschooling. I have read online that, You must file a notice for each child you will be homeschooling who will be six years old or older on February 1.My child will be 6 September 8th.So does this mean I should contact the supervisor by February 1st with my notice of intent?

I also read that I m
    ust file within 30 days of starting your home education program.

I am unsure of when to send my notice of intent?

Thank you for any help!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 5 Year old about to be 6. New to Homeschooling help please!

Hi! We're so happy you've joined our parent forum!

Each state has its own homeschool laws. They are all very different. It looks like you are in Florida, so I found this online about Florida homeschool laws. It looks like you need to notify the school district superintendent.

That page doesn't explain when to notify, so I found this. My interpretation is that you need to notify for the 2016-2017 school year, since she will turn six by February 1 of that school year. It says you need to notify within 30 days of starting your homeschool program. That doesn't mean you have until February 1 to notify them.

I'm not an attorney; just an experienced homeschool mom, so my interpretation isn't foolproof by any means. I hope this helps.

You must file a notice for each child you will be homeschooling who will be six years old or older on February 1 of the school year you are filing for. For instance, a child who is 5 on September 1 but won’t turn 6 until sometime in March does not require a notice of intent to be filed. However, the state has said that children who are 5 by September 1 of the current year may begin school early. Any child who will reach age 5 by September 1 may start school the preceding August. In fact, this is so commonplace that most people mistakenly believe that children have to start school the year in which they will be 5 by September 1. They don’t. The “6 by February 1” standard is the law.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!