Advice

Thread: Advice

AFerman is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Advice

My frustration level is pretty much maxed at this point. I follow the activity scheduler for each week with my stepdaughter and added in spelling words, reading a chapter a day, handwriting, and a workbook page. The scheduler varies 1-2 assignments per course a day. She is obviously not reading her assignments. She takes the same one sometimes 6 or more times. After the second time I have her reread the assignments before taking it again. I told her she needed an 80 or higher. We have spent a few weekends now trying to get grades higher. She was an A student last year, but was bored in her classes. I know she is smart, and I tell her all the time I know how smart she is and I want her to show me how smart she is by reading the material and asking when she doesn't understand. I've tried adding in videos to match the topic, things to make it more entertaining. So far nothing seems to work. We start at 10 am so she has time to wake up play for a while and not just jump into her school work. I tried doing two assignments then a break but she would be finished 15 minutes later, so I switched to every hour, and she dragggggggggggs through the assignments. I tried to get her to write note cards with the questions on one side and the answer on the other, but I get the "my hand can't write that fast" when she has one card done in 30 minutes. I just don't know what to do to get her to pass the assignments, and I feel like I am fighting her on every assignment.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I can feel your frustration with all this. She reminds me of my son. Perhaps she is still bored with the work. Maybe moving her up a grade level would help. Perhaps a different approach would help. Maybe more interest led learning is what she needs. Maybe she just needs a break from structured learning. I wish I had better advice to give. It can be a matter of trial and error until you find what works for your child.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota