Am I doing this correctly?
    tanbat73 is offline Junior Member

Question Am I doing this correctly?

Hi. My son (6 y/o) and I have just started his homeschooling journey about 1 week ago. (He was in public school for about 6wks this year). I have gone through and set up the activity scheduler and printed out the lesson plans. He completes the work on T4L usually pretty quickly and does the worksheets. Then we usually read at least 2 books together and I have 10 spelling words to go over every day (same 10 for the week). He writes them 3 times each for a couple days..we use them in a sentence at least once a day and I will be giving him a "spelling test" at the end of each week. After we get settled I plan to do a field trip once a week or every other week. I have also decided to do a craft or art project that coincides with the time of the year or the upcoming holiday each week. Is there anything else I should be doing? I just want to make sure he is getting all he needs.

Thank you.
    Tanya

P.S. Whats a "trackback"?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you are doing a lot. I think at the first grade level my son was working for about 30 minutes to an hour per day. We did lots and lots of field trips.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

tanbat73 is offline Junior Member

Really?? So you think that's too much?? Should I be doing the extra reading and spelling words with him at this age?
    Usually we do the T4L and all the other stuff takes about 4 hrs. I guess I havent "deschooled" myself... He was used to doing "homework" every afternoon that usually took about an hour...so I figured I would just keep doing what he is used to.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

The great thing about this program is that it can be adapted to your child's needs. If you think he needs four hours of work each day than do that much. if you don't, you don't have to do as much. You as the parent make the decisions. My son never went to school so 30 minutes per day was fine for him. We do lots of field trips so he gets hands on learning. That's how he learns best.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota