Curious about 3rd grade...
    kvoj is offline Member

Default Curious about 3rd grade...

Can someone who has used or is using 3rd grade tell me.... is there any hands on stuff you HAVE to do? Or is it optional? I am seeing in my parent area there is a list of Science Supplies. I thought this was all online...so am confused by why there is a list. I went into demo the 3rd grade science and it gives Measure Up as the example of using supplies, notebook writing, and printing papers. There is A LOT of things listed and I'm noticing we don't have A LOT. Can you complete 3rd grade without doing these things???? Please help me get prepared for 3rd grade.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I think the hands on learning opportunities help but they are not really required. You can teach in whatever manner you choose. If you choose to only do the online work than that's how you chose to homeschool. My son loves hands on things. So we did a lot of the hands on activities. But that's just how he learns best. You need to do what works best for you and your child. One of the great things about time4learning is that it is so flexible.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

kvoj is offline Member

Is there anything in the lessons that asks questions or grades on hands on? Or submitting work?

Blog Entries

I don't remember any questions about the hands on work and there is nothing to turn in.

monnalu is offline Member

My completing 3rd grader granddaughter loves doing the experiments. If supplies are needed that I don't have, we discuss what would happen if she did the experiment so that I know she understands the principle being taught. So far, that has worked very well. Because she is actually enrolled in a public school charter school, some items I can borrow from the school, or we go to their building to do the experiment. I have been looking over the supplies needed for the 4th grade for next year, and most of it I have, a few items I will buy, but the plan is to continue what we have been doing. I do ask that she write her conclusions (whether she has done the experiment or only discussed what the results would be) in her notebook or in Odyssey Writer to turn into her supervising teacher for their audits.

One reason we love T4L is that it can be individualized to the student's needs and the teacher's teaching style. The important thing is that the student learns to think.

kvoj is offline Member

Thanks for the insight ladies! Hopefully we can get it to accommodate us!

bbooth is offline Member

My daughter just completed 3rd grade and we did a few of the experiments, but not even half of them. As long as there is an understanding of the concept of the experiment I think that should suffice!

Blog Entries

I think you are right. It is important to understand the concept. It doesn't matter how you gain that understanding.

Cveazey is offline Junior Member

In third grade you will start doing actual experiments. There are a lot of lessons that are hands on if you follow the curriculum.

Cveazey is offline Junior Member

I agree! It is flexible! One of the best things for us is that both of my sons will be doing third grade science together. This makes finding a partner very easy.