Dad is thinking pushing kids harder
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By fairylover

Thread: Dad is thinking pushing kids harder

dad4learning is offline Junior Member

Default Dad is thinking pushing kids harder

I have two girls and entering 1st and 3rd grade this year at public school. Me and my wife are working full-time but we manage to work at different schedule so that we could spend more time with our kids afterschool to help them learn more than what they learn from school.

With that saying, I plan to pick them up from school then back home in the afternoon then help them do their school homeworks then supplement more harder works for them to do. This is the first tiem I am doing this and I have been searching on internet to the point of confusing because of too much information for afterschool out there. So here are a few items I would love to hear from your feedback

1. Do you stick to just one "website" that provides afterschool service like Time 4 learning? Or do you using from multiple providers?

2. I realize that my kids are spending more than 7 hours at school everyday, by the time they come home around 3PM, they would be tired. So how much more time should I make my kids study more?

3. If I am going to use Time 4 Learning, should I pick out lessons that align with what my kids are studying for that period at school? For example, if my kids are learning about Subtraction with 2 digits at school, then should I pick out materials from Time 4 Learning about subtraction 2 digits?

I would love to hear more from your inputs. Thank you

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hey Dad4learning. It's great to meet you. The first thing I would say is to watch your kids carefully for cues that they are tired or burned out. If they get to tired of school during the day and homeschool at night they may just shut down and not want to learn anywhere. If they are tired, let them stop. Let them be kids. That's just as important as learning.

The rest of your questions have so many different answers. Some people use just one curriculum. Others use several different ones. I have only used time4learning with my son. But we supplement with lots of exciting field trips. We go to the art museum, the science museum, environmental centers, historic sites. There is so much learning at places like this and it's fun.

I think it makes great sense to coordinate your lessons with what they are learning in school. There is a great article about using time4learning after school.
    SandyKC and lovehmschlg like this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

dad4learning is offline Junior Member

fairylover,

Thanks for your feedback. I will take your advice on the "tired" part. That makes much sense.

I think the field trips is what I lack off. I have never taken my kids to any museum in town. I guess I will star doing so.

As for now, I am going to sign up with Time4learning then will make change as time goes by

Thanks

SandyKC is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dad4learning View Post
    I have two girls and entering 1st and 3rd grade this year at public school. Me and my wife are working full-time but we manage to work at different schedule so that we could spend more time with our kids afterschool to help them learn more than what they learn from school.

With that saying, I plan to pick them up from school then back home in the afternoon then help them do their school homeworks then supplement more harder works for them to do. This is the first tiem I am doing this and I have been searching on internet to the point of confusing because of too much information for afterschool out there. So here are a few items I would love to hear from your feedback

1. Do you stick to just one "website" that provides afterschool service like Time 4 learning? Or do you using from multiple providers?

2. I realize that my kids are spending more than 7 hours at school everyday, by the time they come home around 3PM, they would be tired. So how much more time should I make my kids study more?

3. If I am going to use Time 4 Learning, should I pick out lessons that align with what my kids are studying for that period at school? For example, if my kids are learning about Subtraction with 2 digits at school, then should I pick out materials from Time 4 Learning about subtraction 2 digits?

I would love to hear more from your inputs. Thank you
    I was wondering if there is a particular reason you want to push your kids to do harder work? Kathi makes the excellent point that pushing them could burn them out and have the opposite effect of making them start hating school work if they are too tired to want to work.

That said, if a child is struggling in a specific subject, I think it is very wise to supplement with 20-30 minutes of computer based practice with the specific subject of struggle. For example, if a child has dyslexia, then using a reading program (like Lexia Reading) specifically for helping kids with dyslexia learn to read can be very helpful. Similarly, a mastery-based program like Reflex Math can help with math disabilities.

Otherwise, if a child is on grade level and doing well in school, then you'd probably want to consider what your desired outcome is if you press them ahead after school. What will that mean for them during the day in the classroom? Would they become bored? Would they test into a gifted program? Do you have a goal of getting them into a specific private school?

There can be all kinds of reasons for wanting to press a child ahead. Depending upon what your goal is, you could then decide your best course of action from there.
    SandyKC
    Veteran Homeschooling Mom and early adopter of T4L, Instructional Designer, Author, and Special Education Advocate @
    LearningAbledKids.com

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I totally agree with the field trips Dad4learning. My son learns so much more from Hands On than he does from a textbook or internet learning. Science Musuem, Art Museum, Environmental Centers, Historical sites. These are all great ways to learn. And you get to spend fun quality time with your girls.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota