Daily schedules
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By hearthstone_academy
  • 2 Post By hearthstone_academy
  • 1 Post By kings_kid75

Thread: Daily schedules

kings_kid75 is offline Junior Member

Default Daily schedules

I have a 3rd and 4th grader. Can someone please help me with a daily schedule. Like when to start, take breaks, lunch, end etc...I homeschooled my rising 4th grader last year and really messed up. By Christmas she was burned out. I will be doing all of t4l classes and bible. Thanks.

Shannon

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Shannon.

If you were trying to make your homeschool day last as long as a traditional school day, no wonder you burned out. Please see this article called How Long is a Homeschool Day for some important scheduling information for new homeschoolers.

Every household will have a different schedule. I prefer to get most of our formal studies done before lunch. Even my older kids seldom do more than four hours of computer or book studies per day . . . far less, if they are young. Our rule has always been that, no matter how quickly they complete their formal school studies, they still can't watch TV/movies/DVDs or play computer/videogames until 3:00 p.m. They can read, play in the sandbox, build with Legos, do arts and crafts, work on hobbies or Scout/4H projects, do creative play like playing "house", play board games, and so forth. This keeps them from rushing through their school work.

After 3:00 (which is the end of the public school day in our town), my kids can have their free time, including as much non-educational screen time as they want (within reason).

That's worked for us. I need my afternoons free as much as my kids do. Keep trying, and you will work out a schedule that works for your family. Don't be afraid to experiment and change. And don't feel you must compete with a public school schedule.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

We did A.C.E. Curriculum last year and I was worried she wouldn't finish and figuring she had to finish every book that year. She's very slow but can do the work. Am I over thinking this whole homeschool thing.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

When your child is racing through a curriculum . . . especially something like PACES, where the goal is to "finish" a series of books . . . the danger is that they will not retain what they have "learned". I put "learned" in parentheses, because they haven't really learned something if they only remember it long enough to pass the test in the middle of the PACE.

I would rather my kids go slower and remember what they are learning. Take one of those mid-book tests yourself. Chances are, you don't know many of the answers (especially in science and social studies), and you have probably gotten along just fine. I let my kids take the Time4Learning tests "open book", too, or I let them take notes and use their notes on the quizzes and tests. Note-taking helps them remember, because they have to pay enough attention to the lesson to figure out what is probably important enough to write down. It's also a more valuable skill to learn than memorizing dates and other trivia they will have forgotten next week.

Math is a different situation, although I really don't mind if they look up how to do a problem, as long as they work out the problem themselves.

I have the advantage of having done this for almost twenty years and being able to see my eldest four children are successful adults, despite any blunders I made while homeschooling them. I'm more relaxed with the younger two who are still homeschooling.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you our wise leader haha!! But for real, thanks. You have really helped me more than you know oh and editing to ask one more question. We did some practicing today with each child doing a grade under what they will be going in this year. It was LA extensions. I clicked on reading comprehension then reading cues and it was four lessons plus a quiz. Is that a one day class? Should they be doing a quiz a day?
    Last edited by kings_kid75; 07-23-2015 at 06:20 PM.

Never mind I figured it out!!! Yay! Feeling confident!