Different levels for different subjects
    Imbri33 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Exclamation Different levels for different subjects

I pulled my granddaughter out of public schools about a month ago. She was in 3rd grade. She is on the Autism Spectrum - Aspergers. I fought for several years for the school district to have her tested and recognize that there were problems. Meanwhile she just fell further and further behind.

I signed her up as 2nd grade for all of her work in T4L because I know she's behind. All of her ARD's indicated she was at least 1-2 grades behind and was making some, not a lot, but some progress. I've worked with her only a few times in T4L and she seems to like it. She wizzed right through the few Language Arts lessons she worked on. I was playing around with the planner and I was seriously worried. There were several topics in the kindergarten and 1st grade math levels that her and I were discussing that she doesn't know. i.e. skip counting - she's in 3rd grade and can't even count by 10's!!! (an activity introduced in kindergarten) She literally asked me to teach her how. I was shocked. She can't tell time and she doesn't know money - at all!!! No concepts and can't even tell you which is the penny, dime or nickel (she even took a $20 bill to class after the Christmas holidays so she could buy a pencil - she said she got the DOLLAR off my desk!)

My question - her reading seems to be on the 2nd grade level and was pretty easy for her - indicating she might really be at a 3rd grade level. (pleasantly surprised!) Her math skills, however, are atrocious at best!!! Would it be wrong to lower her level to 1st grade in math. That way I could have acess to the kindergarten stuff and we can just start over.

I feel this would be best - as she learns best by one-on-one and I could go through and just pick which lessons from the kindergarten curriculum and from the 1st grade curriculum I felt she was struggling with. I hate the thought of basically "starting all over" or "starting from scratch" but if the schools just passed her to "get her out of their hair" so-to-speak - and she really is this behind - then I feel I'm doing her an injustice by putting her at a 2nd or 3rd grade level. My other thought is - even if she does know some of the material - this will not only be a review for her, but a confidence booster cause it will show her that she does know "stuff" and make her proud when she gets the "good grades".

Thoughts? Comments?

Betty Fultz-Swem is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello Imbri33, your story is sooo incredibly close to mine. My grand daughter also has Aspergers. I pulled her out in Feb from the 3rd grade because she could not read or write. She could say letters and numbers but did not recognize them out of order. she also can not skip count. I put her in first grade math, and language arts on this site and found very quickly that even this large jump backwards was not enough (she was failing math miserably). I put her back into Kindergarten and though completely heartbroken (me) we started from scratch. THIS WAS THE BIGGEST BLESSING IN THE WORLD!!!! At first she was bitter and non compliant so I started singing the little songs with her and acting silly. She flew through the review (started Feb 22 and finished last week) we have bonded because of this time together and she can now read (with help) and is starting to count by two's. another thing I did was restrict her gaming to only ABCYA.com which plays educational games at grade level. she will start 1st grade July 1st and I couldn't be prouder.

Betty Fultz-Swem is offline Junior Member Newbie

I also forgot to mention Peanut also does different levels. Just finished K Language/math 2nd science and 3rd Social Studies. It did not seem to bother her at all. as for the money there is a game on ABCYA.com Kindergarten level called Learning coins. Peanut loves it and while I still wouldn't trust her to count out money by herself, she actively recognizes each coin and its worth. However we are still working on adding different coins together. Learning Coins for Elementary Children

bigbrother29 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Remember they are the reviewing skills they learned at the current level, so you can see the different grade-level skills by buying different level books.

sukstap is offline Junior Member

There is nothing wrong with teaching your child at the level appropriate to them. In fact that is the WONDERFUL thing about home schooling. You can customize your curriculum to your child and not anyone else's so she is getting exactly what SHE needs exactly when she needs it!

Good luck!