First Post / New to Homeschooling
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mom23Boyz

Thread: First Post / New to Homeschooling

leahnc is offline Junior Member

Default First Post / New to Homeschooling

My son is 8 years old and repeating second grade this year in Public School. He is still working below grade level and the school has started the process of having him tested to see if he has a learning disability upon my request. I guess that will determine if he gets individualized teaching and resources?

He is reading at a 1st grade level which is a Level E. He should be reading at a Level M. He really struggles with reading comprehension and dislikes reading! I think he enjoys Math but struggles with Math Facts. His teacher says he gives good effort but continues to struggle academically? He is a good student - never in trouble at school and is very friendly and social. Homework is a nightly struggle and Ive tried everything!!

So I am now at a crossroads of keeping him in public school or homeschooling him? I work full time so I would have to figure that out too. Just looking for support and advice.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. Eight is still really young. Many children do not learn to read until they are about that age. If you want further study on this, you might Google "Better Late than Early" about the Moore philosophy. You might agree with Dr. Moore, and you might not . . . but that's what makes life interesting! He suggests the age of eight as a time to start learning to read, and mentions that boys are often ready later than girls.

You might also be interested in Time4Learning's Reading Skills Pyramid.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Mom23Boyz is offline Junior Member

Leahnc, I don't really have advice for you, but I wanted to say hi and offer you a virtual hug of support!

My middle son is 6 (1st grade) and we too are in the process of going through the testing/evaluation procedures with the public school. Our reasons/causes are different, but I totally understand the uncertainty of trying to decide what to do. We have started homeschooling with Time4Learning as of last week, with the idea long-term of easing him back into public school. I don't know if that will happen or not, but in the meantime I'm trying to figure out how to juggle work and homeschooling...it's tough! My best advice is follow your gut - do what your mom instincts tell you is best for you child! Best of luck, my dear! Praying we both figure it out. ;-)