Following activity scheduler
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ruth_Lanton
  • 1 Post By Kristin Rempel

Thread: Following activity scheduler

Kristin Rempel is offline Junior Member

Default Following activity scheduler

My daughter is 5 and I signed her up for grade one this year and she is doing really good and loving the activities and she wants to work ahead, I have been allowing her to work ahead as long as she is finished the other activities for the week! I know that if I didn't do this she would finish all the language arts and science but not touch the math and LA extensions! I don't mind her working ahead as long as she is doing everything in each week before she moves to the next week, or would I be better off to allow her to work ahead in whatever subject she wants as long as the current work for all subjects is complete for the current week according to the calender?
    The first way she would still finish everything ahead but at the same time and the second would allow her to advance in one subject without becoming behind in the others!
    Now my other problem comes in that next year I will have to register her with the government and will have to pick a grade level and if she is at different levels in different grades do I just pick the grade she is at in most of the levels what?
    I would love to let her cruise through Language Arts but I am just scared of her going too far and being way behind in the other subject!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Many people in this situation let them work ahead as long as they meet basic requirements of all the levels. So let her work ahead in language as long as she has done at least four math lessons or something like that. When registering with school place her at the lowest grade level of all of her courses or place her at an age appropriate level.
    Last edited by fairylover; 09-10-2014 at 10:36 AM.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Thanks! Since the worksheets are the hardest for her I have been splitting them up between the days of the week that we are working on T4L and those and the corresponding quizzes and tests are the must do for each day and the rest I let her pick what she does, she usually pick LA! Like this week she is Done her social studies, Science and La for the week but she still has La Extensions and Math left for the week but once she is done enough of either Math or LA extensions tomorrow then she can do what ever subject she wants and as much as she wants until she is done for the day! She is really enjoying homeschool and I think T4L is at least part of the reason she loves it!

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

It's normal for kids to want to focus intensely on one thing for a while. For many kids, their interests shift over time. If left to her own devices, she may spend a month doing one subject and then another month choose to do a different subject. However, it's also OK if you don't want to give her THAT much freedom.

I would let her work ahead as much as she wants to, but still set a minimum she has to do for all subjects. If she enjoys the LA activities so much, you may want to supplement with LA games and other online LA activities from other websites after she's finished what TFL has for her grade level. Maybe even get some LA worksheets that she does with pencils (or crayons, or whatever she wants to use) as another supplement. The workbooks for the early grades are readily available and inexpensive. I've seen them in dollar stores. She also may enjoy repeating the TFL activities she's already completed- many young children enjoy repetition.

I'd also encourage her to read as much as she wants to- both reading to her and independent reading. It's 100% OK if she's reading "way above grade level." Even kids in public school may read books "for pleasure" that are considered years beyond them.

Don't worry so much about coordinating what she learns with what the school district will be teaching her peers. Assign her a grade level based on her age, and teach her things based on her ability. It's OK if your "first grader" is doing 2nd grade math and 4th grade reading. If it's the inverse ( a 4th grader doing 2nd grade work) then you'd need to prove to the district that your child has special needs.
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

Learning games is a great way to supplement the learning experience. We love Learning Games For Kids.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Thanks! We also do 5 pages of other work a day to practice her writing skills and I am teaching her to use a Soroban for math, as well as a little extra science and geography! it is basicly 3 workbooks that she does a little from each day, I have her finish those first for the day and then do the work sheets for T4L and then she can pick what she wants from there, she is now finished all of this weeks work except for a little math which she will do tomorrow but is half done next weeks LA. She can read at about a grade 3 level when she wants to, sometimes she just doesn't feel like reading, but we read everynight before bed and she loves that!

If I put her in for her grade level but she is advanced and way ahead then what do we do if she is still ahead and finished all her grade 12 work but according to the government is not done her school? Or is that one of those cross that bridge when we get there things? Wouldn't it be better to keep her aligned with her lowest grade level and then repeat a year if needed? I don't know how that would work either, still fairly new to all this! I put her into grade 1 since she was bored with Kindergarten stuff, she is much happier now doing grade 1 and my plan is to teach year round, slowing down a little in summer and being really lax about it in summer but this was I don't have to reteach what she forgot during the summer which might make her even further ahead! I am also keeping an eye on her so she doesn't overwork and burn out as well!

I know that I am not doing it all perfect and I know that this whole plan might fly out the window but for now it seems to be working, my daughter is happy, has lots of time to play and we still have lots of time to go to extracurriculars, 2-3 times a week, not too much so far for us and it helps her get some extra energy out! Martial Arts is awesome for her, and she loves skating and swimming!

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

I think you shouldn't worry TOO much about high school when your child is only five! One of the reasons I'm teaching my son at home this year is because of the way the public middle school is so "future focused" rather than encouraging the kids to enjoy life NOW.

When you get into the upper grades, you can always go into more depth without "moving up a grade level." You also don't know if she will continue to be so far ahead of her peers. Kids all grow and develop at different rates. The kids who are "advanced" in Kindergarten are sometimes very bright and academically inclined, and sometimes they're just kids who "got their academic growth spurt early" and their peers catch up to them in a few years. Even if she remains "2 grades ahead of her age" the difference will be minimized by high school.

11th and 12th graders who have finished "high school courses" can take "advanced placement" courses, and effectively do college level work in high school. My daughter took a total of 7 AP courses in high school, and started college with 23 credits.

I'm also not sure where you live. In my state, "compulsory attendance" ends at age 16. Some kids who are homeschooled through high school will start doing college classes at that age, or take a break from school to work on something else. Christopher Paolini finished high school at age 15 or 16 and wrote a novel (Eragon). He's now in his mid 20s and has 4 published books. But during the time when his peers were in 11th and 12th grades, he was writing full time and promoting his book (that his parents self-published and helped him promote before it got picked up by a major publisher.)

Your daughter will have lots of options when she's older. She may choose to go to a public or private high school, or do something altogether unique and brilliant, or backpack across Europe before starting college. For now, focus on her love of learning and don't let adult fears of "running out of things to teach her" hold her back.
    angeleyes1307 likes this.
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.

Thanks Ruth! I know I have been over stressing about stuff that is not anything I need to worry about now cause no one knows what the future holds for any of us. Right now she is a happy healthy kid who loves learning! I have her grade one stuff planned out and that is enough for right now, she will advance at the pace that is right for her!
    Sometime I just need a kick in the butt to see that I am over thinking things! LOL
    angeleyes1307 likes this.