Frustrated with the 3rd Grade Math
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By StacyFG
  • 1 Post By MamaToHerRoo
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: Frustrated with the 3rd Grade Math

StacyFG is offline Junior Member

Default Frustrated with the 3rd Grade Math

We used T4L all last year, but this year, 3rd grade seems to take a big leap and expects that my 3rd grader know all of her times tables already.

Certain activities require higher level division and multiplication, and there is no focus on actually learning the times tables OR giving any strategy if times tables are not required.

Today, she worked on unit price. She could have used beans, but counting groups of 3 out of 96 beans seems like a waste of time. To me, the leap between figuring out that she needs to use division, and long division at that, is too great.

This is only one example out of many. Even the Multiplication and Division practically starts with 2 digit X 1 digit with all times tables facts included. I would understand if 1's, 2's, 5's and 10's (even the 11's and 3's!), but the expectation that she would know the 6-7-8-9 times tables is too much, and therefore the exercises only induce frustration for her.

Am I alone here?

I realized that my thread below was closed, and I did not come back to thank you all for the replies. I also appreciate whomever agreed to share my thoughts with T4learning.

I am not sure what we will do from here. The 3rd grade, all subjects, isn't fun or engaging for the most part.

I am pleased with the 6th grade, and I am mostly happy with the high school classes. I think T4L could do better, and perhaps they will during a future update.
    bbooth likes this.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I used a cheat sheet for my son. My reasoning is that most people use calculators now. As long as he knows how to get the results, I don't care what method he uses to get there.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

bbooth is offline Member

You are not alone on this one... I am in the same boat! I have made my daughter a multiplication chart to help her out. I find it strange that instead of teaching multiplication that it seems to jump right in to it. I hope she eventually memorized them. Good luck!
    ​~teaching my girl~

teebee2e is offline Junior Member Newbie

And why do you think that is? Do you think it could be because of common core? Think we need to go find some old math curriculum books from pre common core for the proper grade and substitute the once really great time 4 learning curriculum. It's such a shame.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I don't think it has anything to do with common core as Time4Learning does not use it at all. I'm sorry it is such a struggle for your family. I will let the higher ups know that it might be a problem.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I can only tell you about my experience with 3rd grade. Note that my daughter did 3rd grade T4L a number of years ago, pre-common core, so that cannot be blamed for the problems. My daughter was zipping along in Time4Learning 1st and 2nd grade and was actually a grade ahead when she hit 3rd grade and came to a screeching halt. There was a slight change in presentation between 2nd grade material and 3rd grade material. Honestly, even I didn't find 3rd grade to be much fun, it was just a lot more work. And I think this is the problem when kids hit 3rd grade. It is just harder, and this is not specific to T4L. Even friends of mine who had kids in public school 3rd grade at the time said that their kids seemed to hit a wall. If your kids are having a particularly hard time with math maybe back up and do some learning games that will help then practice the math skills without it seeming like hard work. We used Learning Games for Kids as well as TimezAttack to help make learning the math skills a little more fun. I hope that things work out and wish you patience and the best of luck.
    lovehmschlg likes this.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The last math update took place well before common core. Some kids (like mine) need math drill. Others just seem to "get" the times tables instinctively. It's like some kids just take off reading as soon as the basic idea is taught (again, mine!), while others won't be able to read until every phonics rule has been memorized and flash cards have been studied for each sight word.

Time4Learning doesn't provide math drill. With all my kids, I have stopped math and concentrated on JUST learning the times tables when they get to the point where they can't easily proceed until they know those facts. Times Attack is a fun way to do it. I wrote an article about another method we've used, too. I'll try to find it.
    lovehmschlg likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!