Frustrated cuz Im not sure how to not overwhelm my 6 1/2 yr old!!!!!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: Frustrated cuz Im not sure how to not overwhelm my 6 1/2 yr old!!!!!

hrabah is offline Junior Member

Default Frustrated cuz Im not sure how to not overwhelm my 6 1/2 yr old!!!!!

Hello, So we're new to T4L, and so far my son (gr. 1) is enjoying the lessons. My frustrations is with 2 things.
    1) Iv read many posts and everyone is saying how they finish their school day in 2-3 hrs!! how is that even possible! I have my son starting "school" at 9 and ending around 2 or 3pm depending on the day. This includes (4)15min breaks and (1) 30 min lunch ( cus I feel like he needs to get up and move around) also I kinda scheduled 30 mins for each core subject. I have him doing math, LA & LA ext everyday, we also do Arabic lesson along with Quran reading (our bible). Is this all too much? I know someones going to reply back.....yes! but how am I supposed to finish the whole curriculum if the "curriculum planner" from T4L is telling me he has to complete 5 activities every day for LA ext., 3-4 activities in LA, and 3 activities for Math!!? without completing the worksheets he may be able to do 5 LA ext activities in 30 mins but I feel he needs to do the worksheets also in order to get a well rounded lesson....am I incorrect to think so?! =(

2) Science!! the videos are really nice...but am I the only one who thinks the worksheets take too long to complete for a first grader?! the first lesson "what lives in the ocean?" had a worksheet that took us 15-20 mins to complete cuz most of it was answering by writing sentences! They are just beginning to write...and they are expected to answer in sentence form!? 2nd question of the worksheet " How are plants and animals the same? How are they different?" its a great question hahaha but how can I get my 1st grader to right the answer without it taking 20 mins to complete!!!!! And hes actually a pretty good speller for his age =/

sorry for the wordy post its just difficult cuz I still have the public school mentality that everything needs to be covered and I dont want my son to fall behind! I know I need to relax alittle and trust me this is me relaxed hahaha I was more uptight before....
    again sorry for dumping on who ever reads this....but im hoping someone can help plz!!

Thanks

Heba
    1st yr homeschooling first grader! with a pre-schooler at home also!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Heba. The great thing about homeschooling is that you can customize the curriculum to suit your child's needs. Time4Learning provides a great deal of curriculum. You can pick and choose what to use. The Activity Planner allows you to do that, also.

Language Arts: At the first grade level, I always suggest that the student finish all the core language arts before beginning the language arts extensions. The core language arts focuses on learning to read. When making your plan, if your student has known that the letter "b" says /b/ since they were three years old, deselect those lessons. If your student is still not clear about initial letter sounds, leave all those lessons in and focus on the core language arts for this year. Leave the extensions for later. If you don't get to the extensions at all this year, there is always next year. (Beginning in third grade, I have different advice for language arts/language arts extensions. This is just for first and second grade, when they are learning to read.)

A far as the worksheets, I agree that kids at this age need some written work, but there is no reason to do four or five worksheets for each lesson. Choose one or two that look interesting, or that are the least like the ones they did yesterday.

Language arts is practice with concepts. If they don't do every, single lesson, they will not "miss something" like if they skipped a social studies lesson on who George Washington was. (And, even then, this is guaranteed to come up multiple times throughout their school years. )

Math: All of the first grade math lessons come out to one or two a day.

Science: There are only thirteen "regular" science lessons for first grade. Students in first grade focus on math and on learning to read. You don't need to do science every day and, as the teacher, you can elect to just discuss the worksheets with your student instead of having him fill them out. My kids loved the worksheets but, if your student is getting enough writing practice, there is no reason he has to write down his answers. You often will get a longer, more well-thought-out answer if you allow a student to answer verbally.

When they are finished with the regular science, you might choose to add Science4Us, or you might decide they've had enough science for the year . . . especially if you've decided to move on to language arts extensions, which are all arranged around science and social studies themes.

There are many other ways to use this curriculum, and almost none of them involve doing every, single lesson activity and every, single worksheet at each grade level each school year. I think you said it best in your final paragraph: We need to get rid of our public school mentality and relax. If your child is doing something in language and something in math each day, they are doing fine at this level. We want to keep learning fun for them. As an adult, I still find learning fun, and that's been my goal for all my kids.
    hrabah likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

hrabah is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    Hi, Heba. The great thing about homeschooling is that you can customize the curriculum to suit your child's needs. Time4Learning provides a great deal of curriculum. You can pick and choose what to use. The Activity Planner allows you to do that, also.

Language Arts: At the first grade level, I always suggest that the student finish all the core language arts before beginning the language arts extensions. The core language arts focuses on learning to read. When making your plan, if your student has known that the letter "b" says /b/ since they were three years old, deselect those lessons. If your student is still not clear about initial letter sounds, leave all those lessons in and focus on the core language arts for this year. Leave the extensions for later. If you don't get to the extensions at all this year, there is always next year. (Beginning in third grade, I have different advice for language arts/language arts extensions. This is just for first and second grade, when they are learning to read.)

A far as the worksheets, I agree that kids at this age need some written work, but there is no reason to do four or five worksheets for each lesson. Choose one or two that look interesting, or that are the least like the ones they did yesterday.

Language arts is practice with concepts. If they don't do every, single lesson, they will not "miss something" like if they skipped a social studies lesson on who George Washington was. (And, even then, this is guaranteed to come up multiple times throughout their school years. )

Math: All of the first grade math lessons come out to one or two a day.

Science: There are only thirteen "regular" science lessons for first grade. Students in first grade focus on math and on learning to read. You don't need to do science every day and, as the teacher, you can elect to just discuss the worksheets with your student instead of having him fill them out. My kids loved the worksheets but, if your student is getting enough writing practice, there is no reason he has to write down his answers. You often will get a longer, more well-thought-out answer if you allow a student to answer verbally.

When they are finished with the regular science, you might choose to add Science4Us, or you might decide they've had enough science for the year . . . especially if you've decided to move on to language arts extensions, which are all arranged around science and social studies themes.

There are many other ways to use this curriculum, and almost none of them involve doing every, single lesson activity and every, single worksheet at each grade level each school year. I think you said it best in your final paragraph: We need to get rid of our public school mentality and relax. If your child is doing something in language and something in math each day, they are doing fine at this level. We want to keep learning fun for them. As an adult, I still find learning fun, and that's been my goal for all my kids.

Thank you so much Kelly for your advice! I went back and tweaked our schedule so hopefully it will help. and I just need to keep reminding myself to relax and enjoy the ride! hahah

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I hope you're feeling a little better about everything today.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!