Frustrated with Public School, Homeschooling this summer, return to public
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fairylover

Thread: Frustrated with Public School, Homeschooling this summer, return to public

Farmgirlalee is offline Junior Member

Default Frustrated with Public School, Homeschooling this summer, return to public

Hi Everyone-

We are new to T4L as of this week.

I have a 7 year old daughter in 1st grade and have been frustrated this whole year. I feel her teacher is kind, but not "seeing" my daughter. She put her in a remedial reading group at the beginning of school and acted shocked when she progressed through each reading group until she was in the highest reading group. It wasn't that my daughter needed remedial help, she just had an "off" day during the test. At home she reads the Laura Ingalls Wilder books by herself.

Anyway, I feel like she has been left to drift along. She wasn't helped or urged to strive so she didn't. It broke my heart when she came home one day and said "I'm not smart". When I assured her that she was, she told me that I only said that because I am her mommy and love her.

We found T4L and ran through the first demos. My daughter was thrilled. She woke up the next morning and asked to play more of the learning games. Since Monday she has spent over 3 hours on T4L of her own choice and is blazing through it.

My family is concerned that she will get to far ahead of her public school education and it will cause her to be frustrated when she returns to school in the fall. I have to work outside the home or I would homeschool.

What do you recommend? I want to help her gain what she didn't get in first grade because the teacher didn't push, but I also don't want to set her up for failure.

I know that once school resumes and I feel she is on a better footing we can scale back the schedule and just use T4L as support to the PS education. But do you think a full schedule over the summer is too much? Why restrain her when she is loving learning? This is a kid who watches documentaries geared for adults about dinosaurs and big cats and can tell you their full scientific name as well as all the facts you never knew you never knew.

-Alee

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

One of the great things about homeschooling is that you get to do what is best for your child. If she loves the work, let her do it. Another great thing about homeschooling is that you can do school on your schedule. If you find in the fall that she really wants to stay home you can make it work. Many of us are working parents. Who says you can't do school on Saturday or Sunday. Or after dinner in the evenings. With good child care during the time you work, she could even do her school work with them and then you can go over it at night. It sounds like she loves learning. You will do great with whatever you decide to do.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Kvvin2081 is offline Junior Member

Stay with your daughter that's what I am doing, public school teachers in my opinion are so stressed out about their performance at work because of their evaluations on the children's performance that they are not paying attention to the children's needs and often overlook children's abilities they form an opinion about a child and stick to it and never give the child a chance to recover they have 30 children in one classroom and can't keep up with the children because the teachers are overwhelmed and than the children think is their fault. Stay with your daughter is the best investment you can do for her future. Love and God bless your daughter and you KV

Blog Entries

You are so right. We as parents know our children in a way that the school will never know them.

SandyKC is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Farmgirlalee View Post
    My family is concerned that she will get to far ahead of her public school education and it will cause her to be frustrated when she returns to school in the fall. I have to work outside the home or I would homeschool.
    -Alee
    Have you checked out the "work and homeschool" board here on the forums? Is there anyone who could care for your DD during the day--a family member or friend who would be willing to watch her? Your DD could do her work on T4L while you are working. Sometimes homeschooling families are willing to incorporate another person's child into their family for the school day too. That' be my suggestion.

For your question about why restrain her learning? .. I think you ought not!! My youngest got increasingly bored with school as he got older, and homeschooling was the BEST THING in the world for him!! He was able to move ahead fabulously and did dual enrollment online during high school. It's a fabulous way to go if you can figure out how to make it work. The work and homeschool board here is the best place to get ideas about how to do that if you need ideas.

Otherwise, you could just let her use T4L at her leisure, get ahead as she wills, and let PS just follow its standard course.

Blog Entries

That's a great suggestion Sandy.
    SandyKC likes this.