Grade 1 LA Extensions
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By hearthstone_academy
  • 1 Post By Noha

Thread: Grade 1 LA Extensions

Noha is offline Junior Member

Default Grade 1 LA Extensions

Hi,
    We are using T4L for grade 1, i just don't know whether to begin with language arts then follow it by language arts extensions, or should we work on both on parallel?
    language arts activities numbering begins from 1 to 352, but LA extensions begins with a number above 200. I don't understand the difference. Could any one help?

Thanks

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! Through second grade, I have had my own kids complete the language arts lessons before doing the language arts extensions. From third grade and up, I have had them do LA and LAX concurrently.

Here are my reasons:

1. Language arts is heavily based on phonics and the online readers are decodeable/phonics based. The online readers in language arts extensions tend to be more difficult, so the kids have been more "ready" for them later in the year.

2. Students use Story Creator to "write stories" in both language arts and language arts extensions. This is an open-ended activity, and the child does best if they take their time . . . think about where to place the pictures . . . consider what words to type, and so forth. When done concurrently, a Story Creator activity will occasionally occur in both language arts and language arts extensions. That's too much for most students. If they have taken their time with one Story Creator activity, they aren't ready to do another one immediately.

3. By the time the language arts activities are all done, the student has also exhausted the available science and socials studies lessons in first and second grade. All of the language arts extensions are designed around science and social studies themes (outer space, pioneers, plants, community helpers), so they have taken the place of any designated science lessons for my kids during the latter part of the school year. (We have checked out library books on those themes to extend the learning.)
    csaymw and gia89 like this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Noha is offline Junior Member

Thanks for your reply. it really helped