From home schooling to public school
    Dahlia78 is offline Junior Member

Default From home schooling to public school

Hi there,

We are homeschooling now our 2nd grader and K kids . This is our first time and it seems to be going fine. However, kids will be joining public school in WA where we are moving. This should be towards the end of November or by the beginning of the 2nd semester after xmas break.

I would like to know is there anyway to keep track of what school has covered to make sure my home schooled kids are on track as well? Is there a way on time4learning to know which material needs to be covered to be on the same track as public school?

Thanks!
    Dahlia
    Last edited by Dahlia78; 09-13-2014 at 03:14 PM.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

You can use the Student Recored under the parent account. I printed off the lessons as my on finished each class. In your case you can print off the lessons as you complete the time your children will be homeschooling. The you can show this to the school so they they can see what work your shild has completed.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

I would contact the school district where you will be moving to about the curriculum. They may or may not have a website, and the website may or may not have the information you want. If it's not available just by browsing, contact somebody at the district and ask for a detailed syllabus.

Math is the only subject where it REALLY matters that you're on track, since it's cumulative. With science and social studies, it's OK if you learn the units out of order, or learn a hodgepodge of subjects instead of the same exact curriculum. It can be awkward coming in in the middle of a unit, but nothing that can't be worked out at the time.
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.

Blog Entries

That's a good idea Ruth.

Dahlia78 is offline Junior Member

Hi Ladies,

Thank you so much for you feedback. I really appreciate it as I feel sort of soaked under studying materials and online supplements. My husband is in WA and he "said" he will contact the school and do this for me. However, knowing my man I guess I will end up contacting the school myself

On another notice, I found the LA and Math standards for each state on IXL. Hope this would help me till I find out exactly where I need to be.

I know I am asking a lot but can you help me know if I am moving fast or slow? Like for example with my 2nd grader we r done with the Number Senses Chapter in almost 2 weeks ! Am I moving fast or slow. I was doing science and social everyday but I am now doing it more like 2 times a week.

any feedback would be of a great help to me!

Thanks again ladies

Dahlia

dakotamom is offline Member

I know in our state, the Dept. of Education site has a breakdown of what is expected for the children to learn in each grade. Perhaps look at the WA Dept. of Education site and see what is expected for your child this year and work towards those goals.

Blog Entries

The school will help your children catch up if they are behind in anything.

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

Don't rely on your husband to contact the school. This isn't something you need to be there "in person" to take care of, and it makes much more sense for the person who's actually doing the homeschooling to contact the new school.

Check online. See if they have a website. If the answers you want aren't available online, you should be able to find an email address for an administrator in the school district. Email that person, and he or she will either answer your questions or forward your contact information to the person who can.

All in all, though, it doesn't matter too much. Schools are good at helping kids catch up if they're behind in something- though they're not quite as good at keeping kids from being bored if they're ahead. Some teachers are good at it and some aren't.

It's not like you have high school students taking AP classes who need to cover specific curriculum materials to prepare for an exam in May.
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.