Homeschooling Schedule
    anthonypaul359 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Homeschooling Schedule

Do you keep a homeschooling schedule like for example:

9AM-10AM English
    10:15 -11:15AM Math
    11:30 - 12:30PM Music
    etc

I'm thinking of either doing this or doing two or three subjects per day at 3 hour blocks. I don't know. What has worked for you?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I started out trying to do it that way. Now I simply know what I want to accomplish each day and we work it in somehow . . . before lunch, preferably! For us, that makes more sense because what if your child only has a ten-question quiz for English and is finished in ten minutes? Do you make him wait fifty minutes until it's "math time"? Just knowing we "do school" from 9-12:30 works for us.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Mom2AKPrincess is offline Junior Member

We usually just plan on starting at 10am. We usually start with math as it's her favorite, and then do other subjects after. I try to break up the work into blocks - with an exercise/movement/art in between the "core" subjects, we call them play breaks - but she is still doing "school work" - Adventure to Fitness for exercise or a walk, snacks, playtime with Mom, art, and music. We finish by 12 or 1:00 most days, but have had a day or two when we needed to do a lesson before dinner! So I agree with Kelly above!

draucker is offline Junior Member Newbie

We use a day by day written and posted schedule that has everything from waking up to meals and snacks on it. We do 40 minute lesson periods followed by 20 minute break periods, similar to how they handle break time in Finland. We work both online and offline following the Time4Learning lesson plans with lots of third party resources (and spending more on printer cartridges than what Time4Learning charges). Our lesson days are Tu - Fri. Saturday is for testing using the Time4Learning tests, Sunday and Monday are non-school days usually spent grocery shopping and running other household errand with him along. If the Saturday tests demonstrate weakness, we try to identify the issue causing the weakness (typically an inability to relate to the material as presented), rework the lessons, and redo the lessons through the following week. We start each day at 8 a.m. with about an hour of practice worksheets reinforcing math skills and what has been learned in other subjects over the past month. The school day ends at 2:30 p.m. After school he gets an hour of "free play" time to do whatever he cares to do provided it doesn't involved combustible materials (he likes playing mad scientist with household chemicals like vinegar and baking soda, but sometimes asks for things we won't permit). Then we have about an hour scheduled for "Mommy time" which is dedicated to arts, crafts, and drawing. Then we have about an hour for "Daddy time" which includes music (violin and piano lessons) science projects and building stuff with wood. After dinner he gets a little free time to play with his pet guinea pig before bath time and about an hour of "Reading with Daddy" before sleeping.

Hello

I'm the mother of a kindergartner and yes we do use a very strict homeschooling schedule. Starting from 10am to 12pm we do Time4learning or as my son calls it his "computer work" he loves it we do a language art lesson, math lesson and a science lesson. The science lesson is for a 1st grader but my son so far has had no trouble comprehending the material. Then once he has completed his lessons on time4learning. He gets his one hour lunch/recess break. Then from 1:00 to 4:00 we sit at my kitchen table and do worksheet packets, his learning to read program and flashcard drills. Then at 4:00 we end the day by doing something fun usually its an arts and crafts project but sometimes its another fun activity. That's what works for my son and I.

Prudence123 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Homeschooling Schedule

Our lesson days are Tu - Fri. Saturday is for testing using the Time4Learning tests, Sunday and Monday are non-school days usually spent grocery shopping and running other household errand with him along.