How long does your kiddo do school per day?
    LaceyN is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default How long does your kiddo do school per day?

I'm new to T4L, but not new to homeschooling. I'm just wondering about how long it takes for your kiddos to finish a day's schoolwork using T4L. We are switching from using all sorts of different curriculum to just T4L, and I'd like to get an idea of how long I can expect my kids to spend on school each day using T4L.

Can you tell me what grade level your child is using, how many subjects they are using and about how long it takes them a day to finish their work?

Thanks so much!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Lacey, it depends a lot on the child. In the lower grades, my kids would blast through everything I assigned them in an hour or two per day . . . unless there was a "writing" assignment! The lower grade students are given open-ended assignments using Story Creator. Some kids slap out a "story" in a few seconds flat. Others write and re-write, enjoying the process.

I wouldn't expect a kindergartner to be doing online lessons for more than about an hour a day. Preschoolers spend less time. First through third . . . maybe a couple of hours. Older kids . . . no more than four. It will vary greatly, depending on whether there is a science experiment, test and no lesson, worksheet to go along with the lesson, and so forth. Your student should also have offline activities, such as music, arts and crafts, P.E., free reading, etc.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

JBevard is offline Junior Member

My boy is level two in LA, LA extensions, science, and ss; he is level one in math. His independent work takes no more than two hours. We then spend some time with writing and geography. All in all, no more than three hours a day. The rest of his day is spent with me learning how to run a home, going to parks, or just enjoying our back yard.

So far, I have found T4L lesson plans to be a nice time saver. I just divide the lessons up with each day depending on our schedule. I write his daily lessons on a dry erase that he crosses off one at a time. Then I look over the daily report and have a discussion with him. He enjoys T4L, enjoys our extra work, and tells me that he would much rather do this than spend 7+ hours in a classroom. The efficiency of time is one of many reasons we homeschool; it does not take 13 years to teach a child to read and do a bit of math. Take care.

2WrightKids82 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I think it really depends on your child and what works for your family. In the beginning we did all subjects every day.She was using T4L about three hours a day. My daughter is now entering fourth grade and she decided she would like to do one subject per day, so we switch it up, we also use workbooks and have art classes and bible study. My best advice is to experiment and see what works for you and your family, that's the great thing about homeschooling you really can't mess it up! Hope this helps, and good luck!

Brook Simmons is offline Senior Member

I know I like variety so I will add my experience too.
    So my daughter is in 3rd grade this year. She reads really good and because I get on her nerves needs to work independently
    I have assigned her to earn two stars in each subject. If she finishes them she can do other items. I allow her 4 hours so she can do playground time if she wishes. I always check her backpack. Sometimes she does not get all her 2 stars per subject. I do not know if she is not understanding me on this or what. Her backpack is always way full of assignments and when its not my daughter is crying " I tested out Mom! Its mastered!"
    My daughter has a real hard time paying attention and many times she redoes assignments so many times I have to leave the room. Even with this happening.....
    Whispers," We are way ahead of our schedule." I will not tell her this or she would probably declare a tea party on me.
    I am looking forward to a laptop so I can be planning our afternoon HomeSchool stuff, or just let her be on for as long as she wishes as long as her work, chores and recess are done and taken. She has gotten burned out before but was so far ahead she was still ahead when she got back on and that was while attending a public school.

I should note the reason for 4 hours. I find my daughter doing her work sometimes upside down. She can not sit still. She has to take several breaks or I find she has pushed everything off my desk with her feet or has spun my chair into the floor. :P
    Last edited by Brook Simmons; 08-13-2013 at 06:00 AM.