How much to you supplement?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How much to you supplement?

Default How much to you supplement?

I am struggling with how much if any other reinforcement I need to do with Lang. Arts & Math?

As long as your student is not having any specific problems, do you just let this stand on it own or do you supplement in some way? If so, how?

I have added in some math games, a logic workbook, handwriting and reading books but wondered if I needed to do more (or less)?

I do still use a totally separate science & history/geography curriculum. I was planning on having him work on the T4L science & social studies over the summer as a supplement to our regular programs.

I would love to know what other do?

Thanks for you input.
    loveHSedu likes this.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

The only supplementing we do is field trips. Lots and lots of field trips. We read all the time so I do not really consider that a supplement. It's just part of our daily lives.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

CookieMonster is offline Junior Member Newbie

I used t4l, k-2.. Changed curriculums, did another for the 2nd half of 2nd, and beginning of 3rd.... Final Solution? Back to t4l for the rest of the 3rd grade it is! Tried, ACE, a full Timberdoodle curriculum and so far T4L is the least stressful and supplementing of them all. I I just came back to T4l, and so far the only thing I plan on supplementing is extra reading material and handwriting/cursive assignments.

Tonia83 is offline Junior Member

Cheri,

For Kindergarten I have been supplementing with a kindergarten level workbook. I have been pulling out the workbook pages as they pertain to what she is doing on T4L. It has helped reinforce some ideas, but I really do it more for the writing practice. I am not sure what grade your child is in, but I think once my daughter hits 1st grade I am just going to use the T4L worksheets instead of buying a supplemental workbook. I am also planning on adding Science4Us to the curriculum once the workbook is done (so we don't have too much going on), but that is more so because my daughter is just in love with science and the little bit on T4L just wasn't cutting it for her. We also do lots of field trips: zoo, science center, library, etc. If there are areas that are a little more difficult for her I will buy a workbook or find some printables that pertain to that specific thing, otherwise I don't worry about it.

I think it really just depends on the child and his/her interests and temperament, as well as what works best for your family. Some people use lots of supplements and some don't use any. That's what I love about homeschooling, though--you can do what is best for you and your family.

~Tonia

teachforgood is offline Junior Member

We usually supplement with games, quizzes, worksheets and videos or relevant movies. We also take field trips sometimes. The logic being that while learning the theory is good, it's only through practice that the subject sticks to your brain and you don't have to keep memorizing "facts". There are plenty of amazing worksheets on math and art that are available on pinterest. Even craft activities or kitchen activities that teach you science. I've lately been using this resource called Hiccup's Science Workshop which my kid loves. He used to hate science and now loves it. Of course, this is not to replace your curriculum. I always feel it useful to have supplements.

Blog Entries

Learning Games For Kids is a great site for games that actually teach. I enjoy them myself. I also like Science4Us. My son is a real science nut.
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 05-09-2014 at 11:25 AM.

Olive is offline Member

It's totally up to you. I don't think what works for one family will necessarily work or appeal to another. I supplement with lots of things, but not every day. When we started T4L we finished the PreK sooner than we expected and therefore started K earlier. So, I feel like we are able to slow down on T4L and spend time on other items.

If I was "on track" with T4L I would probably still supplement, as long as it didn't drag out our school day too long. Some days we may not log into T4L at all and just do science (we use another program but plan to use the T4L one next year) and phonics review for example. I use T4L for Language Arts, but I also have phonics flashcards (homemade) and tiles for offline use. I am still making my flashcards, using a book called "The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading" & some other stuff. I am not doing lessons like the book, just flipping through it for the card information mostly. I wasn't sure if T4L covered all the letter sounds (Some phonics programs list 3 sounds for the letter a, but some programs just do 2). I want to help him advance in his reading ability and although I do believe T4L is great, I worry that some things will not be addressed anytime soon if at all. We are in 1st grade T4L Language Arts. I would tell you some of the other things I've used but I don't know if it would be relevant. I don't know what grade your child is in. I will tell you, though, I have some workbooks I like and I am not stuck on one brand. I have stuff from School Zone, Kumon, Spectrum, Explode the Code and others. I bought most of them during an educator discount day and some will be used next year and/or over the summer.

Blog Entries

You are so right Olive. It is up to the individual family to choose how they will homeschool. Some children need more busy work, worksheets and things like that. Other children need more hands on learning. It's great that we can be flexible and meet our child's needs.

HappilyUprooted is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Cheri!

The supplements to T4L that we use are Handwriting without tears, online typing tutor and field trips. My boys are 5 and 7 (1st and 3rd grade) and we feel like what they have learned from T4L is sufficient for now! We hope in the future to add a foreign language course!
    Jennifer, proud military wife, traveler and home schooling mom.

An online update of our life and travels!
    www.HappilyUprooted.com

Olive is offline Member

Sometimes it's not the material that is necessarily crucial (if it's review, for example) but rather the handwriting practice! lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast