Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How much to you supplement?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

That is so true Olive.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Maliwali is offline Junior Member

I'm finding myself doing less supplementing than I originally thought I would.

In addition to T4L, my 2nd grader uses Xtramath for fact practice, then Math in Focus, Apples and Pears Spelling and has to do 20 minutes of independent reading a day. He tags along on a lot of what his older siblings do, and there's always lots of reading and project making going on here, so I don't feel the need to add more at this point.

clmsmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

I started off our school year with A Beka and he was getting burned out so I added Time4Learning initially as a fun supplement but found out he loves it and is engaged so now I use it as a primary curriculum and I supplement with his A Beka workbooks. Primarily because I want him to have that written work. Next year I don't know what I will do. He finds Time4Learning really easy so I may bump him up a grade level to keep him challenged and continue to supplement with A Beka or another curriculum next year.

Blog Entries

I love the idea of doing what is best for your child. Isn't it great to have that freedom?

KLD99 is offline Junior Member

My daughter needs a lot of variety in order to avoid getting bored. We rotate Time 4 Learning with offline material such as Brainquest, A+ Let's Grow Smart, and Kumon grade level workbooks plus learning materials from Kids Discover (KIDS DISCOVER - Nonfiction Magazines and iPad Apps for Kids). We also utilize other content-specific learning websites such as Weather Wiz Kids (Weather Wiz Kids weather information for kids), National Geographic Kids, and Discovery Channel Kids.

Blog Entries

Isn't it amazing how different each child is. That's the great thing about homeschooling, we can do what works best for our child.

SelfStdyScholar is offline Junior Member Newbie

My daughter is in mostly 2nd grade classes, except for science.

for History I am thinking of using using "Lies My Teacher Told Me" and I will be looking into ordering a copy of the history book the Professor helped write. (It is used in Mississippi.) The book Miracles and Massacres with trips to the library to check the source materials ( alternating between reading the story first, or reading the history first). My son likes the history videos on You Tube.

Myth Busters is always a hit on YouTube to supplement science. There are plenty of other options on that site as well. When she has trouble with a math concept on Time4Learning I tend to go there and look for something that seems helpful.

The kids are young for philosophy, but look into a book called 6 Great Ideas. You may find a way to introduce some of the material in your own way, or you can read it with your kids. Don't just assume your kids can't handle it. I'd rather my kids were trying to understand something a bit difficult than talk down to them.

I have lots of history materials available ( most packed away from our most recent move). Don't assume everything has to be a picture book. Read something and ask your kids to draw a picture of something you just read. Stories are often best, but use them as a springboard to discuss what people of the time may have thought or felt, and some of the conflicts that were going on. If things hadn't happened the way they did, what else was going on at that time that could have been an alternative path? What might some of the consequences have been? I can't stress this enough- kids are kids, but often smarter than they are given credit for. They don't have your context or experience to draw from, but many materials are dull because they talk down to kids.

Dr Seus has some books you might want as well. Oh Say Can You Seed is a very good one, and I think there are some others that are smart/educational as well. I believe that one was part of a series... I found a list of books recommended for classroom use through the year including these:

One Cent, Two Cents, Old Cent, New Cent: All About Money (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)

Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good For You!
    Seuss-isms For Success
    I Had Trouble Getting To Solla Sollew
    Oh The Things You Can Think!
    Would You Rather Be A Pollywog?
    You're Only Old Once!
    Bippolo Seed and Other Lost Stories
    The Sneeches and Other Stories
    What Was I Scared of?
    Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?
    If I Ran The Rain Forrest
    Oh Say Can You Say What's The Weather Today?

SelfStdyScholar is offline Junior Member Newbie

One more thing... I was listening and heard a lot of recycling themed material in a couple of lessons. I showed my kids the Penn & Teller episode on You Tube on Recycling for some context/contrast.

If you want to show some of the climate change debate/indoctrination look for ways to include information on past ice ages, previous CO2 levels/temperatures in various prehistoric eras before humans evolved, and the climate change politics of a few decades past when the worry was about global cooling. ( The proposed answers still involved giving the government more power and control over... everything and everyone.) The information is available if you go looking for it.

Also encourage the kids to google the change in sea level over the past 100 years. Ask them first what they think it has been, then check to see how close they were.

Other things to check could include changes in the population of polar bears over the past 30 years or so. Try plotting the population on a chart over time with updates every 5 years going back 50 years.

I would probably be slammed as a "denier", but my personal take is something like this:

The planet is warming but slowly enough that people should be able to adapt. If there are long-term cycles in the sun's energy output they could easily span periods greater than written history or scientific investigation.

There are increases in Co2 but how significant they are is debatable, and that debate should include a deeper look into geologic time not just historic time.

Human actions are likely part of some of the warming we see. Insisting that humans are responsible for most/all of the change in earth's temperature may be a form of hubris.

That is hopefully more nuanced than 'liar liar pants on fire!' which seems to be how skeptics are often painted.
    Critical thinking sometimes involves questioning what others take for granted. Foster those skills.

Blog Entries

I love Lies My Teacher Told Me. Also Mythbusters and How Its Made are hits at my house.

loveHSedu is offline Junior Member

hi Cheri! you're doing great supplementing 😊 when i began i was all over the place with much anxiety. i read about Bloom's Taxonomy. although my child is considered gifted as well as borderline ADHD, i believe this simple thought and practice may lend enrichment in every subject. There are different types of learners; however, you can never go wrong including basic supplementing which renders your pupils hands-on approach (doing) feeling (heart and 5 senses) and knowing (thinking/analyzing). For example, t4l has great curriculum for science and history which i follow up with videos, a journal where my child is putting herself in the subject's shoes and then her artistic interpretation usually her output of recalling what she knows and exhibiting it in her own way. sometimes i may ask for a specific approach. for courses such as math and language arts where it seems more technical, i do the following: (math) everyday uses such as allowing her to pay for things with real money when she is shopping in stores for items that are in relation to her level in dealing with money; patterns and fractions are great enforced through being in the kitchen helping herself or me to cooking. sorting/grouping and time best learned through cleaning and organizing her things throughout the day so she knows for example times for showering, being equipped to do so and sorting dirty and cleaning toys before bed. (language arts) new sounds: i incorporate alphabet writing journals or alphabet cards to build words using these new letters and sounds as well as constructing sentences which display her knowledge or lack of for what she's learning or may need improvement on. adding Bloom's Taxonomy, i may add a fun movie or favorite t.v. show and have her make a list of 5-10 words she recalls the certain sounds in. these are just some relaxed and simple yet, realistic approaches where their learning is relational and due important to daily tasks growing up and living life.
    i apologize for the length my response contains, i can't help divulging feedback when it comes to progressing learning and education. i truly love HomeSchool hope it could help, GOOD LUCK!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast