Kindergarten Math Question
    OrlandoMom is offline Junior Member

Talking Kindergarten Math Question

Hi! I am new to T4L, so far we really love it! I started my kindergartener on kindergarten math and science and 1st grade language arts because he can read. He really seems to be blowing right through the math and I was wondering if I should bump him up to 1st grade math? He can count to 100 without missing a beat, and can do very basic single addition and subtraction.

So far with the kindergarten math I am finding it to be which one is different or the same and patterns. I imagine it grow a bit more challenging as time goes on so I am not sure if I should bump him up or not. Can someone give me some insight on what the 1st grade math is like?

Thanks!

NikkiHughes is offline Junior Member Newbie

When you go into the Math subject Icon once your son is logged into his account.. then for each lesson within the subject there should be the option to select K or 1 (in the lesson itself.) So since you feel he is advanced I would just try that first and then see how he does with that? Hope this makes sense!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I would go through and let him take the chapter tests. If he passes all of the tests then go ahead and bump him up a grade level. If he doesn't do so well on a particular chapter you can stop and review it and let him test again.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

OrlandoMom is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiHughes View Post
    When you go into the Math subject Icon once your son is logged into his account.. then for each lesson within the subject there should be the option to select K or 1 (in the lesson itself.) So since you feel he is advanced I would just try that first and then see how he does with that? Hope this makes sense!

Thanks! I had no idea I could do that. Also taking the chapter tests is a great idea! We are going to review the chapter tests this week and go from there.

Thanks ladies for the ideas

minisaez is offline Junior Member Newbie

Does everyone here use specifically this program, or are there any homeschoolers using independent programs? I wonder, because Math is one area children tend to go at their own pace; I used the Core Knowledge system for my son, who was accelerated in math.

minisaez is offline Junior Member Newbie

Interesting that it seems you can choose the grade level "on the fly"...

angeleyes1307 is offline Member

That was actually one of the advantages that made me decide on T4L, the ability for my son to go completely at his own pace and go up a level whenever he was ready with each subject independently.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

One of the reasons we used t4l in the beginning was because my son could work on different grade levels for different classes.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

kvoj is offline Member

When we signed up I answered some questions and t4l helped me place him. Maybe if you called in they could help you do that if you didn't get the option.