My son can trace lettes, but isn't able to write them on his own
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Amanda589

Thread: My son can trace lettes, but isn't able to write them on his own

ChanH is offline Junior Member

Default My son can trace lettes, but isn't able to write them on his own

I have a 3 year old who can trace letters with near perfect accuracy. But when it comes to writing them on his own he doesn't seem to be able to. Is this normal? If so how do I bridge the gap that is between tracing and writing letters? We just started Teach your child to read in 100 days and the whole lesson goes well all the way up to tracing my letters. What do I do to fix this? Thanks in advance for your help.

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

This forum is for posting supplemental resources. You will get more responses by posting in forum more specifically related to your question, like "Questions and Answers for Those Using Time4Learning" or "Home School Questions"...

I would say 3 is very, very young to expect him to write on his own. Tracing and producing the letters on his own are two very different processes. He is quite normal. Give him time; children in kindergarten are learning how to trace and write letters, so he is still very young to be expected to accomplish this hard task. He still has to develop his muscle control, grip, concentration...

You might enjoy reading the "Welcome to Homeschooling Guide". It was written by veteran homeschoolers just for new homeschoolers. It is comprehensive without being overwhelming.

Keep us informed.
    Last edited by jpenn; 12-30-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

JulieXX is offline Junior Member

Well, I must tell you my daughter didn't even read at the age of three, so there seems to be nothing wrong with your son I've been trying to teach my child to read for quite a while now (she's six) and she's now able to read a few sentences on her own But writing... There will be time for that soon. At the moment I'm giving her some iPad apps to play with, I can name a few for you if it's going to help

Love, Julie xx

On the Road to Reading is offline Junior Member Newbie

So nice to hear that a parent is not rushing the reading process. Many children do not read until the age of 6. Because you are homeschooling you are able to give your chid the gift of time. How lucky is your daughter!

On the Road to Reading is offline Junior Member Newbie

If your child knows his beginning, ending, and medial sounds when reading, the identification and production of letters should come next, but these skills are usually not acquired until five years old. Looks like you have time for these skills to develop. Good luck!

Amanda589 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I am new here so bare with me. I also started early with my little girl on writing. We started when she was three and I can tell you it was practice practice practice. But she got it. We worked on it everyday for about an hour. But we turned it into a game. Each day we picked a new letter so as not to burn her out on one specific one even if she didn't get it. I choose something she loves that involves writing. She loves mail. So we would sit down and write one letter over and over again and mail it to grandma. She started trying harder and loved sending "letters" to grandma. So make it fun for them and they don't know they are learning. I hope it will help you.
    lovehmschlg likes this.

Prudence123 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: My son can trace lettes, but isn't able to write them on his own

I am new here so bare with me. I also started early with my little girl on writing.