need help from second grade parents
    Jennifer Mookie Nichols is offline Junior Member

Default need help from second grade parents

Hi everyone I am new to both homeschooling and T4L.

I have a second grader and I'm wondering about lesson amounts. I set my first week up. I used chapter 1 as the first weeks lessons. Is that too much for one week? Doing every lesson for chapter 1?

I also want to supplement too so I'm afraid I won't have time to do that.

Can a parents who homeschools a second grader give me some ideas of what your week is like?

TIA!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I posted your question on our facebook page for today.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by fairylover View Post
    I posted your question on our facebook page for today.
    Thank you!!!

MissUT84321 is offline Junior Member

We've just started so there's not a lot to our day yet Bc it was sort of last minute change but I used the scheduler to figure out how many lessons we needed to do at the least to cover all the 2nd grade material and Bc we started after they'd been in public school 6weeks we skipped ahead in areas where the first lessons were things they already knew- needless to say my son(2nd) and daughter(1stGrade) alternate using computer while one does the other reads 15minites then plays colors or crafts whatever suits their fancy that isn't in front of a screen until it's switch time. We take a "recess" &lunch where we all are active together (my kids were asking me to do w them when it wasn't their turn so this is how we worked it out so I can still do what I need to do)- for about 30-45 minutes , eat (20-30 minutes depending on prep time) then go back to completing any work left for the day alternating again one is finishing the other is playing reading etc or helping w household responsibilities too! Can't wait to get a second computer or compatible tablet (we have kindle but it's impossible for T4L thanks amazon!) I think we will find it easier to do projects while keeping our "school" day fairly short! If we can do them at same time!

Sorry my reply is so late. Thanks for sharing. I have a Kindle as well and understand! Our first day will be Monday of next week. Your schedule sounds like it would work for us as well. I only have one child so we won't have to trade off.

Just wanted you to know that I downloaded the Puffin Academy app for my Kindle and T4L works fine on it.

KLD99 is offline Junior Member

Some of the chapters are very long, so we usually only tackle a couple of lessons from each chapter in each subject per day. I don't use T4L exclusively, so on other days we will do activities in our home classroom using supplemental materials from other sources (Kids Discover, Super Teacher Worksheets, BrainQuest, Weather Wiz Kids, Grammaropolis, etc.). I find that if we do at least 6 lessons per chapter (in each subject) weekly on Time 4 Learning, we easily finish by the end of the school year.

kvoj is offline Member

We do about 15-20 lessons a day. Some from each subject. It's usually 90 minutes but I cut off at 2 hours!

VALLEYMOM is offline Junior Member Newbie

hello im new to homeschooling well im convinced to do it , however my biggest concern now is social time with peers, im really concerned about playtime, fieldtrips. the things are very important to a childs growth. I need help any ideas

Hi ValleyMom,

Google Co-ops in your area where you can meet other home school families for activities and field trips. Also, checking out activities at area libraries is a nice way to meet other home school families. Another route to try is the website (and smart phone app) Meet-Up. You'll probably be amazed by all the mom groups, homeschool groups and co-ops among other things you'll find on there. Also, look for "home school day/week" offerings at area zoos, kids activity centers (like Lego Land if you have one) and museums. Also, church! If you go to a women's Bible study held during the day, chances are good you'll meet some fellow home school moms. Hope these ideas help!