New-Not sure what part of lesson plan to start with?
    SNichols is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New-Not sure what part of lesson plan to start with?

We are trying to print out our lesson plans for our children. We are just now starting (Mid year).
    Where do we start. Its set up so differently than how they were learning in Public School and there are bits and pieces of each segment/chapter that they have done but not everything in the chapter.

Do we start at the beginning?
    How do I set up the activity scheduler for that as well?
    Thank you so very much.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Starting mid year can be a bit tricky. Many families start at the beginning but only do the chapter tests and quizzes. If your student does well with the tests and quizzes move on to the next chapter. If they struggle with the material, go back over the lessons until they understand it. Other families look at the lesson plans. They only do the material that has not been covered by the public school. Still other families just start in the middle of the material. There is no right or wrong way to do it. That is one of the joys of homeschooling. You are not graded on the material you skip. It's just not included in the report at the end of the year. Remember that most things at the elementary level will be repeated again the next year. They may approach it from a different angle but it will be covered again. Things like math has to be learned in some order. You can't learn how to divide until you can multiply. So you need to be more careful about those subjects.

I personally have never used the scheduler. If you are going to be skipping chapters and topics I think it would be pointless. You could write your child's assignments for the week on a white board or even on paper if you want them to know what you expect from them. Maybe others will have ideas about that.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

SNichols is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you so much! Yes, we knew it would be a little bit trickier. On almost every lesson one my children would look at it and say "We'll, we've done this part, but not this part".. SO It was a little confusing. I had no idea we could skip parts of the lesson and just do the quizzes and tests. That makes it SO MUCH Easier!

Quote Originally Posted by fairylover View Post
    Starting mid year can be a bit tricky. Many families start at the beginning but only do the chapter tests and quizzes. If your student does well with the tests and quizzes move on to the next chapter. If they struggle with the material, go back over the lessons until they understand it. Other families look at the lesson plans. They only do the material that has not been covered by the public school. Still other families just start in the middle of the material. There is no right or wrong way to do it. That is one of the joys of homeschooling. You are not graded on the material you skip. It's just not included in the report at the end of the year. Remember that most things at the elementary level will be repeated again the next year. They may approach it from a different angle but it will be covered again. Things like math has to be learned in some order. You can't learn how to divide until you can multiply. So you need to be more careful about those subjects.

I personally have never used the scheduler. If you are going to be skipping chapters and topics I think it would be pointless. You could write your child's assignments for the week on a white board or even on paper if you want them to know what you expect from them. Maybe others will have ideas about that.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

That's one of the great things about homeschooling. You do what works best for you and your child. I love how flexible time4learning is. My daughter is in a different program. You have to follow their schedule no matter what. That would not work for my son and I.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota