New user questions
    kcarnley4 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New user questions

My daughter went through the first set of activities in 3rd grade math and then took the quiz but now the arrow went back to the beginning as if she hadn't completed the activities. Is it because she missed too many qestions on the quiz? I'm really confused!! Also, the quiz record isn't coming up on my parent admin student records. Does it take a while to post in her portflio before i can see it?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Are you sure the arrow is at the beginning of what she already finished, or is it at the beginning of a new chapter? The quiz score does not affect the arrow's progress.

If she completed the quiz, the score should appear beneath the Reports tab. Even if it is not complete, it should appear beneath the Recent Work tab.

It isn't something that happens often, but there's always the possibility of a glitch. Please double check the position of the arrow and the presence of a quiz score. If you still think there's a problem, call support at (888) 771-0914. They can log into your account and see what you are seeing.
    Last edited by hearthstone_academy; 12-14-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Kate is offline Junior Member

Default How to Exit

If your child does not close out of the window properly, it will not register as completed. On the lesson plans page on the left side there is a link "My child completed the lesson. Why didn't it mark as completed?" I would take a look as T4L gives concrete examples there of how to close out - and how not to. Basically, never use the X in the upper right corner of the window. Always use the provided button that is part of the lesson. And when taking quizzes, that usually means scrolling all the way down to the bottom of the page.

The nice thing about this is that if you as a parent wants to review the material ahead of time, you can go through the lesson and close out by clicking either the X or the house icon at the top of the page, and the system will not register that your child completed the lesson when it was really just you reviewing it.

RyliBeth is offline Junior Member

We are brand new here, just signed up last week, and are having a similar issue I think - and perhaps it's just a misunderstanding on my part of what activities are actually "scored", maybe they shouldn't all show up as scored.

I just happened to notice in the sidebar on one of the pages I was perusing this morning the "My child completed the lesson. Why didn't it mark as completed?" link that Kate mentioned above. I clicked on it and viewed the info and thought "Gosh, I hope we've been exiting the lessons properly.", so out of curiosity I generated a report for last week so I could view the work she'd done and make sure everything was okay. There are a huge chunk of lessons we completed that are NOT showing up as completed on the report, so we went back in and went through a few of them to make sure we are exiting properly, but they are still not showing as completed when I generate a fresh report.

Now, I did notice that we really aren't prompted to exit a lesson when she completes it, we are just automatically redirected back to the orange Odyssey Learning page that has the lessons listed for each chapter. For example, if we click on the Language Arts icon on the main "gatekeeper" Odyssey page, it opens up all the chapters that need completed. From last week, it shows that she completed everything under the "Consonants and Short Vowels" chapter, and all the stars are spinning when I click on that chapter to view the lessons, but on the report there are tons of activities that show an "N/A" in the Status column. I do notice that there is a "Completed Date" and "Completed Time" column, so does it simply mean that the activities that show an "N/A" are just activities that they do not receive a score on?

And maybe I just answered my own question with the end of that last paragraph.

Can anyone confirm that this is the case? That not all activities are scored, but will show as "Completed Date" and "Completed Time" with an "N/A" in the "Status" column of the student report?

Thanks.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Not all activities are scored. There is an icon to indicate non-scored activities in the student't report. Be sure you are looking beneath the actual Reports tab, and not at Recent Work.

Compare non-scored activities to an instructor teaching. He or she will explain the material, give some examples for students to practice with, and call on a few students to answer questions and see if everyone is understanding. That type of activity is not scored, so the NA under the score means Not Applicable. Later, the student will be presented with activities designed to assess learning, and those will be scored.

I hope that explains it. If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

RyliBeth is offline Junior Member

Thank you, Kelly! That answered my question and makes perfect sense.