not home schooling yet….need convincing
    curious mom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question not home schooling yet….need convincing

Hi Parent Forum,

I am in Southern Westchester, NY.
    My son is 7 and in 2nd grade at our public school.

I am thinking about homeschooling.

In my "ideal homeschooling scenario", I would be going through this process with a group of other parents and kids and not just schooling my son at my kitchen table alone. In addition, I would love to have tutors or trained teachers teaching his homeschoolers group, subjects that I know I won't be able to handle on my own. Perhaps the parents would share funding to pay the teachers?

I also prefer that this homeschooling process is not based on any religion as we are a mixed religious family.

I envision field trips, arts, sports and a good deal of learning together and socializing for my son.

Is this unrealistic? Are there groups of homeschoolers in lower Westchester who ban together?

Please tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Regards,
    Nicole ( Curious Mom )

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Nicole. I'm not from your area, but I belong to a homeschool co-op that meets one Friday afternoon a month. The families each sign up for one Friday per year, and they offer a class or social activity based on their own abilities or interests. Sometimes there is a field trip . . . sometimes a tea party or Nerf war . . . other times a lesson based on a story book the host family reads aloud to the group . . . a fun science experiment . . . a Valentine exchange, etc. We have reserved a meeting room in our public library for every Friday afternoon, so no one has to fit a crowd into their home.

Homeschool families usually have various ideas about how to teach their own children, so coordinating an ongoing class hasn't been very successful in our group. Most people don't want to leave their homes every day, and even once or twice a week to attend a science class was a bit stressful for us. Oh, the dad who started band has had great participation, so it's not entirely impossible.

As for hiring certified teachers, we have not considered that. We have a diverse group of very talented parents, and some do hire themselves out to tutor the other families' kids in their own areas of expertise. I'm not sure how successful you would be in locating teachers who wanted to do that, since most teachers can find jobs as a substitute. The longer we have homeschooled, the less value we have placed on current certifications.

If there isn't a group in your area, consider starting one!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!