program advice

Thread: program advice

cjmeskel is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default program advice

I am new to homeschooling.i have a kindergartener and i have been using time4 learning as my primary learning curriculum and supplementling with the reading lesson and math u can see. we love time4learning. i am not a math u can see fan... im sure it is excellent it is just not working for us at this time. i wanted to get some opinions on if this is a good plan for success (time4learning as my main curriculm) in preparing her for first grade next year? i am currently investigating A Beka and a few others. any words of wisdom? i want a good core curriculum. thanks jen

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

My son and I have used time4learning since he was in preK. He is now in fourth grade and doing very well. The only supplements we have used is hands on learning at the science museum, historical sites, and environmental centers. We also read all the time. We would occasionally do some SuperCharged science for fun because he is a total science nut. But now with time4learnings new middle school science program we won't even have to do that.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Blog Entries

There are some great workbooks that focus on skills like cutting and pasting. SpellingCity has great spelling word lists and worksheets that you can print out too.

aundreawharton is offline Junior Member Newbie

What I do is use T4L as primary curriculum and supplement with work sheets and extra websites on things he may be struggling in. Like right now I print out spelling WS because to me it is not enough to orally spell the words. I want him to work on his handwriting at the same time. By seeing, saying and doing it will help them remember the information 3 times as much. Because your child is still learning to use their hands, fine motor skills are essential for development. So I suggest printing worksheets that your child has to use scissors and then paste. Or coloring letters instead of just sight. Using their hands in the early learning that is very important to their growth. Remember also your child will learn at their own rate. It is better to cover what they can handle at that time and continue to review until they get it. That is the beauty of home school, we don't have to rush anything. That why our children are in many cases more successful that children in public school who have to kill themselves just to keep up with the pace of the rest of the State. I wish you peace of mind and I hope this helps.

Blog Entries

Great advice. Enjoy learning with your child.

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Abeka is mostly workbooks and memorization. If your child doesn't learn that way you will NOT be happy with their curriculum. I taught Abeka in Christian school for many years; it's not my favorite at all.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie