Question on Retaking Quizzes and Chapter Test
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sorkat88
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: Question on Retaking Quizzes and Chapter Test

sorkat88 is offline Junior Member

Default Question on Retaking Quizzes and Chapter Test

Hello,

This is our first year homeschooling and am LOVING Time 4 Learning. My question is, if they take a quiz or test and do not master it (70 or better), is it okay are reviewing the information again that they retake the quizzes/tests? I do not want to seem like I am cheating on their grades, if that makes sense. i also want them to redo and understand before moving on. Is this acceptable?

Thank you,

~ Kathy
    rachaelmac likes this.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Kathy, the quizzes and tests can be taken as many times as you like. One important thing that happens when you start homeschooling is that you slowly begin developing a homeschool mindset, instead of a public school mindset. What is your goal for your child? It's for them to learn, right? So it makes perfect sense to use a test to see how much they know, re-study any material that needs to be gone over again, and re-take a test to see if they grasp the material now.

Traditional schools seem to be more grade-focused than learning-focused. Take spelling as an example. What good does it do a child to study a spelling list for a week, take a test on Friday, receive a poor grade, and go on to an entirely new list? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to continue to study the words they missed?

Just a few things to think about, from a mom who has had all these same questions myself.

Do know that, with additional attempts, the new score does not replace the old one. All attempts are averaged in to the overall score. This is because the curriculum used by Time4Learning was developed for use in public schools. Time4Learning has purchased a license that allows them to offer it to families and individuals. Public schools do not want to award the same grade to a student who required multiple tries to get a good score as to a student who achieved a high score the first time, so they generally average all attempts and this is how the reports are programmed.

When I graded my kids, I used the information in the reports to come up with a final grade of my own. I just disregarded the total in the reports . . . crossed out anything I didn't want to include in the grade (like all but the final attempt at a test) . . . and calculated my own final score. I print a report each week, and my reports are covered with my own pencil marks. I think having them look "used" adds to their credibility.

Some people have forgotten how to average scores, so forgive me if you are one who remembers. Just add up all the scores you want to include in the grade (such as 40, 70, 100, 100, and 60) and then divide that total by the number of scores there were (in this example, there are five scores). In this case, the total would be 370. Dividing that by 5 gets an average score of 74 (which, in most schools, would be a C).
    rachaelmac likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Edify is offline Junior Member Newbie

How can I view my childs retake score for activities, lessons, quiz or tests?

Interested in this as well... If he has only missed a few, can he go back and re work? Is the grade/ percentage automatically refigured?

Default Re: Question on Retaking Quizzes and Chapter Test

So how does my student retake a quiz? When he clicks on the quiz, it brings him back to the one he just took with the answers still filled out.

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    Kathy, the quizzes and tests can be taken as many times as you like. One important thing that happens when you start homeschooling is that you slowly begin developing a homeschool mindset, instead of a public school mindset. What is your goal for your child? It's for them to learn, right? So it makes perfect sense to use a test to see how much they know, re-study any material that needs to be gone over again, and re-take a test to see if they grasp the material now.

Traditional schools seem to be more grade-focused than learning-focused. Take spelling as an example. What good does it do a child to study a spelling list for a week, take a test on Friday, receive a poor grade, and go on to an entirely new list? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to continue to study the words they missed?

Just a few things to think about, from a mom who has had all these same questions myself.

Do know that, with additional attempts, the new score does not replace the old one. All attempts are averaged in to the overall score. This is because the curriculum used by Time4Learning was developed for use in public schools. Time4Learning has purchased a license that allows them to offer it to families and individuals. Public schools do not want to award the same grade to a student who required multiple tries to get a good score as to a student who achieved a high score the first time, so they generally average all attempts and this is how the reports are programmed.

When I graded my kids, I used the information in the reports to come up with a final grade of my own. I just disregarded the total in the reports . . . crossed out anything I didn't want to include in the grade (like all but the final attempt at a test) . . . and calculated my own final score. I print a report each week, and my reports are covered with my own pencil marks. I think having them look "used" adds to their credibility.

Some people have forgotten how to average scores, so forgive me if you are one who remembers. Just add up all the scores you want to include in the grade (such as 40, 70, 100, 100, and 60) and then divide that total by the number of scores there were (in this example, there are five scores). In this case, the total would be 370. Dividing that by 5 gets an average score of 74 (which, in most schools, would be a C).

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Question on Retaking Quizzes and Chapter Test

You probably need to clear your browser's cache (history and cookies). Then restart your computer. Now you should see a fresh test when you click the icon again, but the scores for any older attempts will still appear in the Reports.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!