reading reports

Thread: reading reports

trenathetreehugger is offline Junior Member

Default reading reports

can someone tell me if there are directions on how to read the student reports?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! Log in to your parent account and then click on View My Parent Tools under Parent Resources and How To Videos. Now look at the little rectangles at the bottom and you will see that the top one on the far right is labeled "Student Reports". If you click on it, you will find a video that explains how to use the reports. One thing the video doesn't mention is that the colored bars that say "pass" or "fail" are designed for a teacher to see the progress of an entire class, so please disregard that and just look at your student's percentage scores.

Another common question concerns the "N/A" (not applicable) in place of a score for some activities. This is because some activities are intended to teach, some are intended to allow practice, and some are intended to assess. None of the teaching activities will be scored. (Compare these to a teacher standing in front of a class and giving instruction. Students aren't graded on that.) Some of the practice activities will be scored. (Compare this to a teacher's practice of assigning a grade to some daily work and simply noting whether other daily work has been done or not.) All of the assessment activities will be scored.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

ladyhawk57407 is offline Junior Member

I have my child set for 2nd grade, I know that 1 & 3 grade are also available to my child. Is there a way I can tell if a particular activity or test was taken for either the 1st or 3rd grade (i.e. if my child selected a different grade level)?

Thanks,
    Sheila

trenathetreehugger is offline Junior Member

I watched that video and it just tells me how to pull up the report, nothing on how to read it. is there any where else I can go to learn how to read it? thanks!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

First of all, be sure you are in the actual Reports tab and not the Recent Work tab. It sounds like you understand how to generate the type of report you want.

Once you have generated the report, the information is presented in columns. You can see across the top that there is a column for the name of the activity, the date it was completed, the time the activity was completed, a score (if it is a scored activity), a status which is only used by schools (because it applies to an entire classrooms performance), and the duration (which is how long the student worked on that activity).

You can click on the name of the activity to view it.
    You can click on any grade that appears as a link to see what the student answered correctly or incorrectly.
    You can click on the N/A by any Odyssey Writer assignment to print and grade a writing assignment.
    You can click on the icon key at the top to find out what the various icons mean. They label certain types of activities, such as tests or practice activities.
    You can click on the Help icon at the top for additional information about Reports, but remember that only classrooms use the Assignments function and the Gradebook.
    You can use the navigation arrows at the top left to navigate to the last page of the report you have created. Scroll to the bottom to see an average score for each type of activity.
    Some people want letter grades. Each teacher will calculate a grade in a different way. There is no universal grading systtem. We provide "percentage correct", to allow you to calculate a grade your own way. A typical method is to consider 90 or above as an A, eighties as a B, seventies as a C, sixties as a D, and below that is failing.

If this still doesn't answer your question, please let me know.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!