Scoring in lower level learning
    Cmil0416 is offline Junior Member

Default Scoring in lower level learning

Hi! I have been overwhelmed lately reading about portfolios and these huge lists of things that have to go into them. One of those things is learning objectives and summaries .. but with this curriculum, would that mean that i should record those things from all of her lessons? watch the lesson, or look at the test to figure out the learning objective? Or is that not necessary when using an online curriculum?
    Another concern I have is grade reports and scoring. my kid is in first grade.. So i know she's too young to have a GPA, but isn't she supposed to be getting letters for satisfactory, needs improvement, etc.? I can't see anywhere that time4learning has recorded that specifically, so is that up to the parents' discretion what grades their children get? that seems dangerous. Who am I to decide if my child is advanced, satisfactory, etc,? I can give her placement tests but I don't know where she stands relative to any other students.
    I am obviously confused to the core, I'm trying to get all my pieces together. any help would be appreciated!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. You might be interested in this article about keeping a homeschool portfolio. Be sure your state requires this of homeschool parents before you get too worried about it. Otherwise, a portfolio is just a nice, optional keepsake and you decide what goes in there.

Printing the lesson plans for each subject is usually sufficient to show objectives and summaries, if this is required. Log in to your parent account and click on Go To Lessons Plans under Parent Resources and How To Videos.

Reports are for the parent's information. Scores are percentage scores. When homeschooling, the parent is the teacher of record and decides how to grade their student (or even whether to give grades, as grades were originally a tool designed to communicate the student's progress from teacher to parent).

Each teacher in each classroom will have their own ideas about what activities to grade, whether to give more weight to a test and less to daily work, whether to just award 100 for done and 0 for not done on daily work, and so forth. They will all do it differently, even in the same school.

As a general guideline, 90 or better is typically thought of as an A or excellent, eighties is a B or good, seventies is a C or average, sixties is a D or below average and below that is failing.

It is common for homeschooled children to work at different grade levels in each subject. As long as your student is doing their best, many homeschool parents try not be concerned about how they are doing compared to other students.

Time4Learning is not a school. Time4Learning is a homeschool curriculum. In homeschooling, the parent is the teacher of record and is responsible for following the homeschool laws in their state. Other than that, they are free to use the curriculum as they feel will best benefit their student . . . skip lessons, repeat lessons, do lessons out of order, work at different grade levels for each subject, navigate back and forth between grade levels, work through the summer, take months off for vacation, and so forth.

Many people mistakenly refer to online schools as "homeschooling", but that is not correct. An online school assigns third parties to oversee your student's education and the school is responsible for following the school laws in the school's state.

Since Time4Learing is not an online school, pretty much everything is up to the parent's discretion.

I hope this helps you feel a little more confident. Parents are uniquely qualified to teach their own children, because they've been doing it for years!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you! that actually does help me to feel more confident. You have me a lot of information. thank you for taking time to do that. If i'm this worried in first grade, i'm not sure i'll make it through higher learning.
    Does the program not allow kids to retake tests? I am having my child review some of her tests and quizzes from previous sections, and when she clicks on a test, it shows the answers last time she took it and doesnt let her take it again. is this an error, or the way its supposed to be?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I'm glad that helped a little.

Some browsers cache that information and it's necessary to clear your cache before you try to access a quiz or test again. All previous attempts will still be reflected in your student's reports. Most of the time, it works to just log out of your student's account and then log back in to access a quiz or test a second time. Sometimes you need to actually clear your cookies and browsing history and then try again. This just depends on the settings you have in your particular browser.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

I will clear the history. this has been an ongoing issue so i am sure that's what i need to do, more than logging in and out. Thank you!