So confused!

Thread: So confused!

levinsmommy07 is offline Junior Member

Default So confused!

Hey everyone! I have a few questions!

First off, I'm homeschooling my 6 year old son who has Autism. We've been using Time4Learning since November and we're nearing the end of our 1st year. Also, we live in Georgia!

1) Other than the Math tests and LA Extensions that he has mastered, how can I tell if he's ready to go on to Second Grade? Mommy instincts say yes, but I don't want to advance him if he's not really ready. Where can I find a good placement test? I don't think Georgia requires it 'till 3rd grade.

2) When he left public school he had an IEP in place. Do we need to have another IEP made? And if so, how do I go about getting that done?

I know these are probably questions we should have figured out before we started, but we had to pull him quickly and didn't think about it until now! Thank you all so much in advance!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Does he understand the material? Does he struggle with the reading or comprehension? If he is doing well on the test and he appears to be comprehending the material, I would say go with your mommy instinct. I am personally not a big fan of testing. There are tests out there that you could google. You may want to ask some of your questions, (IEP and testing) on your state forum. You would probably be able to get some answers on the Special Needs forum.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

KLD99 is offline Junior Member

This answer is in regard to your question about the IEP. My daughter has Asperger's and the school district did an assessment for an updated IEP before she was to enter the 1st grade (she had an existing IEP from age 3-5). However, when they discovered that I was going to be home schooling, and not having my daughter attend public or private school, they told me that they wouldn't be preparing another written IEP until such time as she returned to a "traditional" classroom. They did provide me with the results of the assessment, and they said the assessment data would be kept on file with the district so they could prepare a written IEP if we decided to return to public or private school. This was in Washington State, so I don't know about the IEP process in Georgia.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Some states do not allow you to homeschool if your child has an IEP. You really need to check your state laws.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

I live in Mississippi. My daughter has an IEP and has never attended public school. She has had one through the school system since she was 4. She receives speech therapy through the school twice a week.