Supplement questions...and other questions :)
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fairylover

Thread: Supplement questions...and other questions :)

SharaT is offline Junior Member

Default Supplement questions...and other questions :)

I was curious who all supplements? I add readingeggs.com and bible time, along with writing and reading. Sometimes I feel like I don't do enough. My daughter is in 1st grade but on 2nd grade stuff. She is super smart and honestly rarely needs my help. T4L has taught her way more than I did the prior years with hand books like My Fathers World etc....does anyone else just do the website and add in a few things like reading, writing and field trips?

Thank you!
    Shara

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Shara. Welcome to the forums. We do some handwriting since there isn't a lot of that in an online curriculum. Now that he is older he writes in a journal every day. And he reads every day. Other than that the only thing we supplement with is field trips. Lots and lots of field trips. My son learns best hands on. So the field trips are great for that.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

SharaT is offline Junior Member

Sounds good! I will be doing the same. Do you homeschool year round?

Blog Entries

We do not homeschool year round any more. We did until my son learned that his friends do not go to school in the summer. After that there was no way he was going to do school during the summer or on school holidays.

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

When we use T4L, we never use it alone. I don't think we've ever used anything as is. That is just my personality. We school year round- just lighter in the summer. The past couple of years we have used units from Moving Beyond the Page in the summer. I have also put together my own unit studies, but that is time consuming whereas MBtP is a point and click download. We also never totally stop math. We in no way coordinate our time off with the local schools. I actually prefer to take time off when the other kids are in school and actually consider the ability to take vacation days when we want and/ or that work for my husband to be a big benefit of homeschooling.

Just another way to do it. Find a groove that works for your family.
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

You are so right Mandy. We each have to find what works best, not only for our family but for each child. Sometimes what works great for one child won't work at all for a sibling.
    Last edited by fairylover; 03-19-2014 at 10:06 AM.
    Mandy in TN likes this.

teachforgood is offline Junior Member

Hey Shara, since you as a mum have great instincts with your kids, you would be the best judge of how to supplement. Supplementing is always a great idea in moderation. If your kids learn through activity, taking up projects would be a great way to add to what they are already learning. If they learning by exploring and living the facts, field trips are a great idea. If they learn through reading/visually - worksheets, online games are a great option. Go by your instinct though, they're seldom wrong.

Blog Entries

Great ideas Teachforgood. Thanks.

rickvon2010 is offline Member

I felt the T4L curriculum for Kindergarten was not enough for my daughter, so I added in a full curriculum with Timberdoodle. Timberdoodle gave her more book work such as geography, handwriting, math, and reading. She completed both T4L, Timberdoodle and took the Iowa State Test and did well. I moved her up to first grade and it seems more challenging for her. We use T4L and lots of flash cards for this grade level. We have lots of field trips and physical education time! She is going on a field trip tomorrow to take a tour of Chick-fil-a and see how they make her favorite chicken and milk shakes!
    Rick Von Linsowe, MS
    Air Force Family
    Homeschooling Dad of one 1st grade Princess

Blog Entries

As I have said before, we use lots and lots of field trips. My son learns best hands on. Hope she has fun.