Wanting to Homeschool
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fairylover

Thread: Wanting to Homeschool

kenziesmom07 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Wanting to Homeschool

Hi,

My daughter is wanting me to start homeschooling her, shes currently in the 1st grade. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to pull her out of school now or to wait till next school year starts? And also where do I even begin to homeschool. Please HELP!!!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Kenzie's Mom. Welcome to the forums. When to pull your child out of school is up to you. Many people do so at the winter break. I think a lot of it depends on the reasons why you want to pull her. If she is doing poorly in school, if she is being bullied, if she is bored and ahead of the other students, if she wants to be home with mom, pull her now. There is no reason to wait until the end of the year. If you want her to finish out the year and then start fresh next year at home, you could do that as well as long as she is safe at school.

Where to start depends a lot on your state. You need to look into your state laws and see what they require. There are links in many of the state forums to the laws in that state. In some states you only have to notify the school that she won't be returning. In others you have to fill out forms including information about the curriculum that you will be using. It all depends on the state.

How to begin is another issue. Many people use a boxed curriculum. There are many of them available online. They range from very low cost to extremely pricey. Many of us on this forum use time4learning as our curriculum. My son and I have used it for six years now. I love how all the work is done for you. They even keep records for you. And the cost is low. Other people piece together their own curriculum using bits and pieces from one program or another. At the first grade level, many don't use a curriculum at all. They read and read and read. Do some beginning math. Maybe talk about political or current events as they come up.

Visit around the forums. I think you'll find many great ideas. Especially go to your state forum and ask questions. There is a great how to guide for you to read. Find a local homeschool support group. They will be your greatest help. Ask questions. We are all in this together.
    bbooth likes this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Hey KM. Follow your soul!

Blog Entries

What she said. We have to follow our hearts when we have little ones to love and care for.

monnalu is offline Member

My granddaughter begged her mom from the first grade to be homeschooled. Finally, we started at the beginning of her third grade with independent study through the local school district. There was absolutely no freedom or choices regarding textbooks or order of lessons. We (homeschooling is a family affair with my daughter and I sharing the teaching responsibilities) had homeschooled my grandson until he went to live with his father, so we were not novices. My granddaughter was unhappy with the independent study program, and so were my daughter and I. About the time we were looking at alternatives (we had already determined our student would do well with T4L) we discovered a relatively new charter school that is a county board of education school. We attended an open house and were thoroughly impressed. Transferred our student and never looked back. I told them I wanted to use T4L and showed them the scope and sequence of the lessons. We used it primarily for science and social studies this year. We used traditional textbook (of our choosing) for spelling, grammar, and math. I developed a literature course. Our student did very well and was happy most of the time. She is excited about using primarily T4L in the fourth grade and has a goal of completing the fourth grade and a lot of the fifth grade this next year. We do teach Latin via Lively Latin and plan to start French mid-way next year.

If your student is asking to be homeschooled, try to find out the reason (our student was belittled because she is very smart, but not neat) and go from there. To our family it is the best deal in town. My husband and I took our granddaughter on an extended trip this spring and used those experiences for her lessons in math, social studies, science, and writing. She got real life experience reading maps and calculating average speeds, how to account for money, and how to manage time. You can't get that with traditional schools.

Blog Entries

I love your enthusiasm. Homeschooling is the best schooling in my opinion.

Alexklaschools is offline Junior Member

hi kenzei' mom, i think you should listen to your heart, in my opinion you should take her out and give some homeschooling fo her better learning and understanding.