At what age?

Thread: At what age?

Joanna is offline Junior Member

Default At what age?

At what age should a child be able to walk to School alone and be a bit more independent?

The reason that I ask is because, my daughter is 7 and is nowhere near ready to walk to School alone or with friends, she will walk with friends if I am there with her to hold her hand, which I do anytime that we walk anywhere. She is not very independent either, she will not dress herself; wash herself; brush her teeth/hair; make breakfast for herself; put on shoes/tie shoelaces or put on/do up her jacket. Most of these things are ones which she should do by herself imo so, should I insist that she do them because, I don't want to force her but also want her to be more independent, I have a dilemma ?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I think it depends on a child's maturity level, how far the walk is, what the neighborhood is like. As the parent, you know your child best.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Joanna is offline Junior Member

What about her wanting me to tie her shoelaces and do up her coat? If I say no then she would trip over her own laces and be wet/cold due to an undone coat. I have had a lot of stares when I do up her coat ?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

It sounds like these may be questions for your family doctor or school psychologist.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota