What do you teach in Kindergarten?
    Darcey Guest

Default What do you teach in Kindergarten?

Serious question. I just started about a month ago because I had to withdraw my son due to behavior issues. We have been working on sight words, phonics, addition, and subtraction. We've started beginner reading. But I don't know how I am suppose to show him spelling and grammar when he's just now recognizing words. Or what good citizenship is and how to incorporate that. Are they learning science and social studies already? He seem to be learning more at home than he was at school but I want to make sure that I'm on the right track.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Are you using Time4Learning? If so, he is getting plenty of math and language arts.

Time4Learning does not add formal spelling instruction until after third grade, because it's true that a child needs to be reading well before spelling instruction makes much sense. You are "sort of" doing spelling by introducing sight words. I think that's plenty.

Grammar can be done casually. If he says, "I goed to Grandma's house", say, 'You went to Grandma's house? I'll bet that was fun!" In other words, if he uses poor grammar, model the correct grammar back to him, without making it obvious that you are correcting him. That's how children learn to speak, anyway . . . by copying the adults in their lives!

Good citizenship at this age is picking up after yourself, treating other people the way you like to be treated, sharing chores at home, behaving appropriately in public, understanding that library books need to be returned on time, recognizing the American flag when he sees it and knowing it "stands for" America the way the golden arches "stand for" McDonalds (or any other symbol he is familiar with).

At this age, I taught science and social studies with library books, using World Book Encyclopedia's Typical Course of Study. We just checked out books on the things listed and enjoyed them together. Occasionally, I would find a coloring page online about the topic and my kids would color those. The idea in kindergarten is to "introduce" topics . . . not to master them.

I hope this helps. I wish I still had one this age. I very much enjoyed learning together with my younger ones (and the older ones, but it isn't quite the same. )

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

bakermommy is offline Junior Member

That book is really cool, especially the science part. My kid is interesting in things related to "Earth, moon, stars, planets"
    Visit my blog for stand mixer reviews here

swim_mom is offline Junior Member

For the standards, you can look at Common Core Standards website for the Kindergarten part. This will tell you what the other kids in the public school systems learn at kindergarten. And for the curriculum, you'll have many resources, such as Time4Learning.

bigbrother29 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Another resource is a series of K-4 summer review booklets. Each grade-level booklet offers a great way for parents to provide summer daily review for reading, language, and math. It has a simple format, with one page for language arts, one page for math per day for eight weeks. Kindergarten has six weeks. It’s available on Amazon.

sukstap is offline Junior Member

Darcey- A lot of what you need to teach will also depend on what state you are in and what the laws of that state require! Make sure you are informed of what your specific state requires! If you are religious, teaching bible verses can count for citizenship as well, fyi. I'm lucky that in Texas homeschooling regulations are pretty lax, I too pulled my kinder out for behavioral issues this year and homeschooled as well. I will be pulling all three out next year and homeschooling all three. I'm also lucky that Texas doesn't follow common core- cause from what I've seen it is yucky!

Good luck with homeschooling your babe!