Writing sentences for 1st graders??
    melissarday is offline Junior Member

Default Writing sentences for 1st graders??

I am noticing more and more as we work through T4L 1st grade language arts the amount of writing sentences is required on the worksheets. My daughter is not writing sentences yet. Should she be writing sentences at this point? Right now, she dictates to me what she wants to say, I write it in sentence form, then she copies it into her worksheet. Anyone else here?

kvoj is offline Member

I too think there is a massive amount of writing, I don't remember writing that much, but my child does write in sentences. I don't think there's ANY problem with helping form her sentences at this point. Just a heads up towards the end of the year (in LA) they get a writing (typing with a picture) thing at the end of like EVERY section that is online.

But .... I go about the writing a different way. It is a little more time consuming at first but I think it cuts down on papers and makes filing their school easier! It looks like a lot but it's only a few clicks and is really about as long "extra" as it is to print a piece of paper.

When I open the worksheet it pops up in my internet and I have taught my kids how to save it and then edit it so they can type it. It's taken a few months and they still have some trouble but when there is a worksheet (Authentic Task) they are to call me and we do it together. Ok so once it's open they go to the right bottom corner and a line of icons come up. They click on the Disc (Save button). Then they save it to a folder in my computer where each child's work goes. Then they open it from the folder and it should save it as a PDF in Adobe. They then click on the 3rd piece of paper that allows you to edit it. It brings up a list on the right and they click on the Add Text button. Then they can type on the paper. Instead of circling and all that jive we just use X's or O's under the correct answers or Color them. That way they are learning how to use the computer too, more than just the mouse.

Also sometimes we just SAVE a bunch of the Worksheets instead of opening them and doing them. Then some nights we will knock out a bunch of worksheets for the chapter. I'll type it all sometimes while we go over it.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

My son HATES to write. As he has gotten older he doesn't mind typing but he still dislikes actual writing. He is however, an avid story teller. When he was in first grade I let him dictate to me and I wrote his stories for him. He would sometimes dry pictures to go with the story. To me the creativity of the story was much more important than the act of writing.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

melissarday is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the ideas! So, in your thoughts, about what grade SHOULD they be writing on their own? I'm thinking if they are not doing "formal" spelling, they are not going to really be able to.

Blog Entries

I don't think you can pick a magical age or grade out of the air and say that your child should be writing by this age. All children are different. Some are ready at an early age. Others are not. When your child is ready they will begin to write with less argument and actually begin to enjoy it. My son loves to write on skype when he is chatting with his friends. But two years ago he would not even try this. One of the great things about homeschooling is that we can let the child direct their learning.

kvoj is offline Member

I agree. There is no magical age they SHOULD be writing. My children love to have little notebooks that they use in the car, restaurants, anywhere we go really. And they use to draw a TON in them. Now it's become more filled with words and stories. I found the less they were "forced" to write the more they enjoy it and want to! I can't pick an age but for a sense of reference when they could learn the letter and sound they started writing in our case. Even if it was "EGL" for eagle, "PNKN" for Pumpkin. When I can give the advice of when they learn the letters they should be able to soon there after be writing them. When they learn words, soon there after write them. When they learn/read sentences they should be able to write them soon there after. It was a different age for each child, one started at 2.5 learning to write letters and the other at 4. Don't fret too much, honest it will come along when they are ready and interested and that will be best because they will have grown to like (or maybe even LOVE) it!

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

I agree with the other ladies who have said there is no magical age when a child should be composing sentences.

OTOH, if you are wanting to know what other first graders in your area are doing, you could check the standards for your state. It may be more accurate to ask parents who live near you. In my area some of the kindergartens have children writing three-letter CVC words immediately and require children to write several sentences after a story prompt or picture after winter break. I am not saying that this is developmentally appropriate, but I know it is done. Some of the kindergartens only require letter writing before winter break and three-letter CVC words after winter break. Now the public kindergartens are all full day. When my 20yo was in public kindergarten, he went half day. They did colors, shapes, and fun crafts and things with picture books. They learned their letters and to count to one hundred.

I am pretty sure that all public schooled first graders in my state are required to compose and write their own sentences before winter break. Again, I am not saying that what the school is doing is developmentally appropriate, the right or only way, or that it should be emulated in your home school. I am just saying that if you are wanting to know what is typically expected of first graders in your area then you can consult state standards and parents in your area.

HTH-
    Mandy
    Last edited by Mandy in TN; 03-05-2014 at 09:06 AM.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

I think there is too much of a push for kids to grow up these days. I am all for letting them be kids a while longer. Writing in kindergarten is just way to much in my book. I think kids will write when they are ready.

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by fairylover View Post
    I think there is too much of a push for kids to grow up these days. I am all for letting them be kids a while longer. Writing in kindergarten is just way to much in my book. I think kids will write when they are ready.
    It is generally agreed that composing and writing sentences is developmentally inappropriate for children who have just turned 5 or have yet to turn 5. This is one of the many reasons why states are moving cut-off dates that were once at the end of December to the beginning of August and why parents are choosing to hold children who have summer birthdays. Kindergarten is definitely becoming what was, not long ago, first grade. :/
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

Yes andsoon preK will be what used to be first grade. Let them grow up a bit first.