Afew of my favorite things...about home schooling in Louisiana
    MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default Afew of my favorite things...about home schooling in Louisiana

I would like to welcome you all back to the new school year!
    I have great hopes for this school year, with its blank notebooks, and freshly sharpened pencils. Ok, so waxing poetic.
    The reality is that I am always excited and ready to think about a fresh school year.
    Along those lines I would like for you to chime in on this question:
    What is your favorite thing about home schooling in Louisiana?
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

One of my favorite things about homeschooling in Louisiana is the fact that I have complete control over my daughter's education. I am free to make my choices about curriculum, and about whether she will take standardized tests. I also love the freedom from school schedules. We get up when we need to, we school as we like, we take field trips when we choose, and vacation when we choose.
    Ok, so all in all, what I love best about homeschooling in Louisiana is......the freedom!!
    Linda

hens_and_chicks_mom is offline Junior Member Newbie

I love the other homeschool parents that I have met! They are a wealth of information and talent! I love that I don't feel like I am alone in this strange new world. When we made the decision to homeschool, I felt condemnation from parents, store clerks and others. My daughter, who is tall and mature for her age, has been asked since she was 3 where she went to school. Upon hearing that she is homeschooled, people always gave me "that look". You know the one...that says, "Oh, you are one of those!" Now I know that I am one of those and proud of it! I'm thinking of getting her a "WARNING! Socially inappropriate homeschooler" t-shirt to wear when we are out in public during school hours. If you would meet my child, you would know that she is not socially inappropriate.

Hens and chicks mom,
    I know what you mean about the looks! DISCLAIMER: the following rant is all typed with a smile in my face, and a laugh in my heart. While it may be true, it is intended, for the most part, in a joking manner!! I realize that sometimes typed words come out more harsh than intended...

I actually thought about that t-shirt, but I then decided that I didn't care what others thought enough to spend the money for it just for the point of being antagonistic...but believe me, sometimes I want that shirt so badly.... And you know what, sometimes my daughter is socially inappropriate, because she is 11! That is what the whole thing about learning and growing and maturing is about. She is not done yet, she is a work in progress LOL! The definition of socialization is to prepare a child with the ways and mores of their society so that they can become functioning adult members of that society. I don't want the child who quietly stands in line, herded from one place to another, and behaves just like everyone else.
    I want the child who thinks for herself, adapts, and functions, regardless of circumstances. I want her to be different from the "cookie cutter" kids, I value independent thought!!
    My daughter's riding instructor said it in a great way, when giving an instruction, my daughter didn't do exactly as instructed, she wanted clarification. The instructor realized that the order she had given the instructions in would have resulted in some of the work having to be repeated. The instructor said, "Man, I love my homeschooled students, I don't have to think for them, they think for themselves, and that is a good thing when dealing with half a ton of animal that can also think for itself!!" (Horses, of course!)
    We try not to go out during school hours for household chores, like grocery, post office, bill paying, etc.
    We do schedule doctor appointments, riding lessons (physical education and an elective, of course), field trips and park days during school hours. We mainly do it this way because I don't want to deal with people asking my daughter (not me, but my child!) why she isn't in school. Quite frankly, it is none of their business why my child, in my presence, is not in a brick and mortor classroom.

I realize, over my years as a homeschooler, I have gotten more "radical" about the way I feel about the way people speak to my child, in my presence, because we chose to homeschool. Don't quiz her, don't ask her why she is not in school. Don't ask her if she likes homeschool, or does she wish she were in public school, don't test her to see if you can get her to mess up socially. Quite frankly, I find such behavior (::grinning:: wait for it...) "socially inappropriate"!! Never once, have I asked a public school student, in the presence of their parents or otherwise, if they would rather be homeschooled, if they would rather not stand at the bus stop at 6:30am, in the dark, at 32 degrees, or quiz them to confirm what the statistics in our state show about our failing school system. Not once. I just wish people would show us the same courtesy!

Whew! I'm done now, didn't realize I needed to get that off my chest, thanks for the opportunity to vent, know it wasn't aimed AT you, but WITH you!! I'm not ADHD, but I educate one daily, is it contageous?!?

Happy homeschooling!!

Post publication edit: Yes, I had too much coffee this morning.....
    Last edited by MamaToHerRoo; 01-05-2012 at 01:31 AM. Reason: sometimes I can't spell, either hehe
    Linda

kimberlyaa is offline Junior Member Newbie

hi. I'm new to homeschooling and need some curriculum info. I am located in baton rouge louisiana and have an 8th grader i am homeschooling. I have some questions if someone can answer. Do you homeschool on the weekend, or any time of the day? where do you find a curriculum that is close to public school? How do you keep a record of grades? If someone can please help me with some info. i would appreciate it.

Unregistered Guest

Default taammyl

Quote Originally Posted by kimberlyaa View Post
    hi. I'm new to homeschooling and need some curriculum info. I am located in baton rouge louisiana and have an 8th grader i am homeschooling. I have some questions if someone can answer. Do you homeschool on the weekend, or any time of the day? where do you find a curriculum that is close to public school? How do you keep a record of grades? If someone can please help me with some info. i would appreciate it.
    I am from Minden & I have 2 boys ages 7 & 8. We homeschool year round and on the weekends and skip a day or two during the week or when something else comes up. I find that with my boys if I skip even a whole week, they tend to get lazy or forget some of the things they learned. I don't try to compare my curriculum to what public schools use. I just choose what I like. I went to homeschoolreviews.com and read up on all the curriculums that interested me & chose from that. I use several different curriculums. I love Christian Light Education and time 4 learning. I usually homeschool the boys in the evenings around 6 because I work outside my home. My mother-in-law watches the boys while we are at work & I send them 5 pages of practice work for her house. It's just easy work like writing spelling words, math facts, time & money. Just the basic stuff that they know or things we are working on at the time that they know well. They do those sheets when they first wake up at her house. I do keep a planner of every lesson we do. It's just a notebook sized planner with plenty of room to write out stuff each day. I keep track of the book they read orally as well as lesson numbers for each subject or what time 4 learning catagories they did. That way if it ever was to come up, I can show anyone what we do.

Thank you both for your posts! You can homeschool any time you want, weekends, evenings, during the traditional school day. We are somewhat flexible as well, if I know we have a major field trip on a Saturday, that I will count as school, then we take a day off during the week, maybe plan a play date, or just do errands or something. Louisiana does not require that you count hours like some states do, so as long as you can log 180 days (and they really only have to be half days to count that is why the public school can get in those teacher workshop 1/2 days and still get 180 days!) The way that we make 180 days is that we school year round. This means that we have the flexibility to be inside in the hot summer, and outside when the weather is better. It also means that if we need or want a little break, we can take it without worrying about the day count.
    If you are really looking for a public school-like curriculum you might consider Connections Academy, I know that they opened on in the Baton Rouge area, though I don't know how full they are. We purposely don't try to teach like public school at our house, because public school did not work for my child. We do love Time4Learning and have used it for 5 years as our core curriculum. I find that, in comparison, Time4Learning provides more educational material per grade that the Louisiana public school system does. As for record keeping, the beauty of Time4Learning is that all the grades are kept for me. I usually don't keep additional grades but do make note of things we do with supplimental curricula like music, art, foreign language, PE...anything we do that is outside the scope of Time4Learning. I usually keep this in a cheap spiral notebook, where I write a day/date and what additional things we do.
    Minden is probably too far away to take advantate of this, but Baton Rouge Homeschool Association is a homeschool group, you can find them online. They plan lots of field trips and park days, if you are looking for activities with other homeschoolers.
    If you have other questions please feel free to ask, we might not know the answer, but someone here probably knows it!!
    Happy homeschooling,
    Linda