from blanchard louisiana
    MANGO is offline Junior Member Newbie

Talking from blanchard louisiana

hello, i am homeschooling my 10 yo son for 5th grade now. We just finished 4th grade. We did a beka academy for 4th grade, man that was hard. I looked into t4l this year and my son so far loves it....I am looking for others in my area using t4l also. I would love to get together for field trips etc... hope to hear from u all soon

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hey Mango!
    I sent you a welcome on the new to T4L forum, but I wanted to welcome you over here as well. As I said over there, I can relate to your challenging child. I have one of those, too!
    I don't know where Blanchard is, I will have to look it up. We are near Baton Rouge, and belong to a couple of physical groups in the area. (meaning, not online groups )
    Feel free to jump in here with any thoughts, ideas, or questions you have. It is great to have another person from Louisiana, even it we are not close geographically.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

sungifts is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MANGO View Post
    hello, i am homeschooling my 10 yo son for 5th grade now. We just finished 4th grade. We did a beka academy for 4th grade, man that was hard. I looked into t4l this year and my son so far loves it....I am looking for others in my area using t4l also. I would love to get together for field trips etc... hope to hear from u all soon
    Wow - someone from "my" area! We are in North Shreveport - very close to Blanchard. My son is 7 - currently attending first grade at a private school. We are jumping into homeschooling next school year and t4l is most likely what we will be using. I have been researching and "lurking" around t4l for about the past year or so just trying to gather info. I have enjoyed reading others posts but haven't seen anyone from this area until now

Are you a member of any co-op in Shreveport - Bossier? I have heard of a couple but would like more info from someone involved. I think my biggest fear is the socialization of my son - although what he's getting now in school is certainly not the socialization I want for him!

Hi!
    We certainly are glad to have new families join in Louisiana. Can I address your fear about socialization?
    This is something I worried about, too. I didn't want to homeschool because I didn't want to be one of those "weird, homeschool families". What I have found is that your child can be as "socialized" as you choose. There are plenty of opportunities for your child to socialize with other children, across age ranges. Just a few of the opportunities in our area: (I know you live in north Louisiana, but I'm sure there are similar things there!) art lessons, many bowling allies are willing to have homeschool groups, check out local museums and zoos for opportunities for classes or events, homeschool groups often have play dates or park days where kids of many ages get to have fun, also, field trips are something homeschool groups do. I know that for one of the groups I belong to there is something going on every day. If we participated in everything offered we wouldn't have time to do school LOL! Most homeschool families I know have to be careful that they don't get carried away with the socialization aspect. Kind of a balancing act.
    Anyway, I hope your homeschooling experience turns out great. We love homeschooling, and using T4L, and hope you will, too!
    Linda

crystalrus76 Guest

Red face Northwest Louisiana

Hi! Im from Oil City. I am jumping into homeschool now with my 9 year old son.

Welcome Crystal....
    We are glad to have you, what made you decide to jump into homeschooling? Are you going to work through the summer, or give your child a decompression period? How did you hear about Time4Learning?
    Linda

CrystalV is offline Junior Member Newbie

There were a lot of factors that made me jump into it. I am working with J.J through the summer. The above guest from Oil City is me. I just set up my profile.

Crystal,
    We are glad you are here. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to post them here. If I don't know the answer, (and I might not LOL) there is a great group of moderators from other states that I can call on to find answers to even the most difficult questions. I hope your son enjoys T4L as much as my daughter does!
    Linda