Confused- Any help would be appreciated!
    luvmyprincesses2 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Confused- Any help would be appreciated!

I am a mother of two girls whom I homeschooled for 2 years when we lived in California. My daughters enjoyed their experience but wanted to enter public school when we moved to Louisiana. Much against my own better judgement I enrolled them into public school. I had hoped that since it is a "country school" that it would be an easier transition than a regular public school. I couldn't have been more wrong. In addition to the girls being bullied and picked on, I have also been "bullied" by the schools principal and vice principal. *I've been told that it is MANDATORY that my children take the LEAP (California state tests are not mandatory). *I am attempting to take them out and just homeschool them again but now I am being told that I need to apply to homeschool BEFORE I am ALLOWED to take them out of public school??? *Is this true? *They said that the school board will need to approve my curriculum??? *I NEVER experienced any issues such as this when I transitioned them from public school to homeschool in California. I would appreciate any help or information regarding the Louisiana laws. I've looked it up online and I am still confused and frustrated. I am literally sick to my stomach over all of this. How can some school officials have control over how I decide to educate my children???

Unregistered Guest

Default taammy

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyprincesses2 View Post
    I am a mother of two girls whom I homeschooled for 2 years when we lived in California. My daughters enjoyed their experience but wanted to enter public school when we moved to Louisiana. Much against my own better judgement I enrolled them into public school. I had hoped that since it is a "country school" that it would be an easier transition than a regular public school. I couldn't have been more wrong. In addition to the girls being bullied and picked on, I have also been "bullied" by the schools principal and vice principal. *I've been told that it is MANDATORY that my children take the LEAP (California state tests are not mandatory). *I am attempting to take them out and just homeschool them again but now I am being told that I need to apply to homeschool BEFORE I am ALLOWED to take them out of public school??? *Is this true? *They said that the school board will need to approve my curriculum??? *I NEVER experienced any issues such as this when I transitioned them from public school to homeschool in California. I would appreciate any help or information regarding the Louisiana laws. I've looked it up online and I am still confused and frustrated. I am literally sick to my stomach over all of this. How can some school officials have control over how I decide to educate my children???
    There is a post form 3/24 called "homeschooling in Louisiana: know the law" that is very helpful. You can take your kids out of school and you don't have to test them if you don't want to. Don't let the school bully you. They are just trying to scare you into keeping the kids in public school. Don't listen to them. Do your research. Louisiana is a wonderful state to homeschool in. They make it very easy on the parents. I homeschool as a private school and use my home as the school & I only have 2 students. Look up that article. It is just under yours. It will help answer some of your questions.

krisa320 Guest

Talking I was confused as well, but now its GREAT..

You don't have to let anyone know what you are doing. These are your children and we have the right to teach them how we want. Thanks to CHEF (Christian Home Educators Fellowship) for helping me understand this.You can fill out the Home Study Program Application with a copy of birth certificates and mail it in. It is not mandatory, but just out of kindness you can send it to them. They will not, not approve it. For instance I mailed mine on 8/16/11 and they approved it on 8/26/11. Hope this helps you!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I'm a little late to this conversation, and I do have a correction. You do have to let the state know what you are doing. If you fail to notify the state what your children are doing, you could have problems with CPS, social services, truancy, and the school board.
    There are 2 options for doing this. One option is the Home Study Program, and allows the state board of education more ... control... over what you are doing. The other option, which is the option almost every one I know who homeschools in Louisiana uses, is the private school option. In this one, you do not have to provide names, or ages of your students. You simply notify the school board that your private school (homeschool) will open on a given date, (we use the start date for public school as our starting date), state that you will operate classes 180 days, which is the minimum for the state, and you have x number of students...in your case 2 students, enrolled. You are not asking for their approval, you are notifying them of your private schools existance and enrollment. The time when this will make a difference is if your students look for TOPS scholarships. Beginning in 10th grade your students may want to be in the home study program option since this will allow them to qualify for TOPS.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!