Considering Homeschooling and Don't Know Where to Start
    Unregistered Guest

Default Considering Homeschooling and Don't Know Where to Start

I have been considering homeschooling for a while now for my 8-year-old/2nd grader. We are having behavior trouble at his current school. It isn't a bullying issue or a not understanding the work issue. I don't feel like it's relevant to explain. I have been considering Louisiana Connections Academy until I read the reviews. I know LCA isn't a homeschool program and is technically a public online school. I have no idea of any other programs or what would be the first step to homeschooling. I would take any advice and suggestions.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Considering Homeschooling and Don't Know Where to Start

Hi!

You might be interested in the free Welcome to Homeschooling guide.

You can learn your state's homeschool laws by logging in to your state's Department of Education website. Here is Louisiana's homeschool page.

Time4Learning is a popular curriculum choice for new homeschoolers, because the parent doesn't have to teach everything "from scratch", the program scores all of the online work, records are kept for you online, and the engaging lessons are a great way for kids who are leaving public school to "de-school".

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Smile Re: Considering Homeschooling and Don't Know Where to Start

[QUOTE=Unregistered;71640]I have been considering homeschooling for a while now for my 8-year-old/2nd grader. We are having behavior trouble at his current school. It isn't a bullying issue or a not understanding the work issue. I don't feel like it's relevant to explain. I have been considering Louisiana Connections Academy until I read the reviews. I know LCA isn't a homeschool program and is technically a public online school. I have no idea of any other programs or what would be the first step to homeschooling. I would take any advice and suggestions.[/i

i live in Texas and I pulled all of my kids from public schools when my 4th grade child with dyslexia came home saying he had been passed to the 5th grade but when he unloaded all of the workbooks and extra stuff he had 5 workbooks unopened, these books had never even been looked through. A letter was sent home with him telling him to study this summer for next years star tests. I spend anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours 2 or 3 times a week doing school work. One place I can tell u my kids and even I have learned sooooo much from watching the learning channel, the travel channel, discovery, and many other channels. You would be amazed at how much educational stuff can be found on just everyday tv. Don't stress it, I did I was in a panic worried about if I was doing the right thing. Follow your gut feeling. Mamma knows best. I will add before ending this make sure you keep them socially involved with kids their age they are going to need these developmental skills. I put myself and all my homeschooled kids in taekwondo.
    Hope this helps with your decision. Really though don't stress out over it. If they need a month to transition to being home while everyone else is in school that's ok. That's the beauty of homeschool if u have the time there is no major rush or need to cram a bunch of nonsense into that brain of theirs. They will figure it out and you will know when they do!