Considering homeschooling, need advice and tips.
    Genie Smith is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Considering homeschooling, need advice and tips.

My 2nd grader isn't doing well in a general public classroom. I want to homeschool him and need to know everything I can to get started. Help!

Jessica Mashael Bordelon is offline Junior Member Newbie

I'm in the same situation with my daughter in 2nd grade. I'm frustrated that she learns better and with more excitement when I'm teaching her than she is in school. What city are you in? I'm in New Orleans.

digster868 is offline Junior Member

Hello Genie and Jessica.

I know that it can be daunting. We found ourselves in a similar situation right at the end of October this year. After a long, 6+ relationship with a private school -- they behaved in such a terrible manner that we had to pull both of our children that day.

My husband and I decided (after that experience) we weren't about to just toss our children into another school.

These last two weeks have been a complete blessing. I have learned so much about my both my children (and I'm a stay at home Mom LOL!).

For my oldest (4th grade) we have already found the reasons he was struggling (3 years of "A" Honor Roll... then struggles). There were several "basics" they weren't teaching. For my youngest (1st Grade) -- we can hardly contain her.

We are in Metairie and, while things are "perfect" yet, they are wonderful... for both children and the family. I could write a laundry list already but I would run out of space LOL!

The best I can offer is... had I known in second grade for my son what I know now... both of our children would have been in homeschool 2 years ago.

The biggest hurdle is social... but we have kids in the neighborhood and I'm working steadily to find more social groups for them to participate.

Get your plan (with a BIG eraser) and jump in. It took me a few days to realize that we don't have to run on a military schedule -- we need to run on their schedule. We start every day at 9:00 am with a plan and adjust as quickly as they learn everything 100%. If there are struggles in one subject, they can spend as much time as it takes.... but we're not moving forward until they KNOW it.

Ladies, the kids' confidence has grown in leaps and bounds just in the past two weeks. Both are half-way finished learning cursive (yes, the 1st grader too!)... they weren't teaching that in the private school. My 1st grader is taking two "Grade 2" courses that she had never seen before and is loving it.

I'll be happy to offer any help I can provide... just PM me and we'll find a way to communicate.

digster868 is offline Junior Member

Hello Genie and Jessica. We have recently begun homeschooling our children and are loving it. We are in the Eastbank Jefferson Parish area. One child 1st grade, one child 4th. Had I known it was this good I would have started years ago.

Let me know how I can help!

R Smith is offline Junior Member Newbie

It is so exciting to me to see the enthusiasm in the homes of homeschooling families.

It is so important for you to be connected to other home educators because the enthusiasm often turns to fatigue and fear.

CHEF of Louisiana exists to support and protect homeschooling in Louisiana, helping support groups form or grow. Though our organization is Christian, we want to be a resource homeschoolers of all persuasions, for we believe that the parents are best able to educate and nurture the child. Studies confirm it over and over. And we want you to succeed in the journey of home education.
    For our home, it made all the difference. Robert Frost wrote, “I took the road less traveled, and that has made all the difference.” Home educators from the last 30 years would say it is applies to the decision to educate your children at home, yourself. Learn together as a family. Curriculum is optional. Curiosity is essential.

R Smith
    President, CHEF of LA

Lottie Broussard is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Genie,
    What area do you live in?

Default New Orleans

HI Jessica,
    We live in New Orleans, too. This is our first year homeschooling. I have 2 eighth graders (boy and girl). I'm frustrated with the fact that I am teaching them more with homework and paying tuition.
    Renee

Unregistered Guest

Question Thinking about homeschooling

Hi my name is Dana I am from St Tammany Parish and i have a 5 yr old autistic son who will be going into 1st grade next year. He has been having some problems with bullying at his school (which we havent had that problem in the past but we have had other problems with the school). Also with his sleeping habits it gets impossible to stay up all night with him then have him at school before the bell rings and I know that when he starts 1st grade then all the tardys count against him. Also if you know of any autistic children or adults you know they don't like change to their routine and he would be getting a new teacher in a new classroom. So my husband and I decided that after 4 pre-k girls at recess came and spit in his hair that we would homeschool him. I am interested in finding out if you just use the Time4Learning or if you use something else as well. How does homeschooling work? I know that you have to get everything approved by the LDE, but when reading the FAQ's it says that T4L is not accredited school, so do you have to use something else with T4L? It seems like T4L is perfect for children with special needs like autism.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there! I'm not from LA, but from what I've seen around the boards here, Time4Learning is used by many LA families. The laws don't state that the curriculum has to be accredited, just that it has to be equivalent to what's being taught in public schools. When you're trying to get it approved, you can go over the lesson plans for the grade you need, and print off the scope and sequence, and that should be all you need. Especially at the younger elementary levels.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!