Fed up!

Thread: Fed up!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default Fed up!

I've had it up to here!

Ok, homeschoolers, I am going to vent, get ready!

I'm a taxpayer, really, and my taxes go to support public school, you know, things like books, classrooms, curricula, band, art, sports, foreign language programs. And, my child doesn't take advantage of those things because, well, she is homeschooled. But, I'm still taxed for them.
    Wait just a second! As I look back through the checkbook, hmm, I wrote a check for books, mortgage (let us call part of it "classroom" for purpose of this illustration), T4L (ok, credit card), piano lessons, art lessons, Tae Kwon Do, Spanish class....didn't I already pay for this stuff once? (looking back at my tax returns) YEP! I've already paid for this stuff once...err....make that twice!
    I'm fed up with paying for it twice. I think I should get a tax break, or an allowance. How much money is the state/county allowing for each public school child? I'll tak half that amount as a tax credit, or as a cash allowance to purchase things for my homeschool. How does that sound?
    Anyone else fed up? Let us hear from you. What do you think of this idea? Is it a pipe dream?
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

ADD-Ventures Guest

Thumbs up ditto

Hi, Mama...Roo!

I am with you on paying twice for our privilege to educate our children at home. I personally would vote for the full amount schools get per child. if we look on the La DOE website we will see what Vernon Parish schools get per child. Last time I checked it was between 4-5K! I could provide a very well-rounded, classical, you name it education with all the bells and whistles for that amount per child (3). Lets get that into the school board agenda!

BTW, I just started on here, but I had done a trial of T4L a while back. Looking forward to it.

Hey ADD-ventures,
    I hear ya! And Louisiana is on the low end, some of the states higher the education ladder (LA is consistantly below 48...out of 50a) pay as much as 10 thousand dollars per child....for WHAT? It won' be solved in my lifetime, but we do have to remember that we can take advantage of tax free days to buy supplies, and we can deduct money on our income taxes for certain homeschool expenses. Don't forget to take advantage of those.
    I'm glad to have you here with T4L, I hope you will love it as much as we do. Have you sent in your homeschooling letter yet?
    Don't be a stranger!!
    Linda

hens_and_chicks_mom is offline Junior Member Newbie

I thought that LA did have a small tax break for what homeschoolers spent on their tax return. Am I wrong? I'm sure that it doesn't come close to the money spent in the public school class room.

I taught public school for 10 years and can promise that your homeschooling dollars are well spent. That $10,000 per child not only goes to the physical school building, books and salaries, but...and this is where I get annoyed....paying for "professional development" where teachers are forced to listen to people who have not been in the classroom in years (if ever) tell them how to teach, given prizes for attending, and fed junk food. My sister, a teacher too, was given a backpack that read "My Happy Kit" and contained a bunch of junk that was supposed to make her happy when she started to feel the stress of teaching. The school district paid for one of these for every teacher in their district. How much money was wasted there?

Hens and chicks,
    Yes, you have to check with your tax preparer, but there is a way to count curriculum costs, school supplies, and mileage (field trips?) against your tax responsibility. It is a percentage of what you spend, but you do get to count it. Do check with your tax prep person, because you can count things like computers (for educational purposes), and music and art lessons, physical education (maybe baseball, ballet, swimming, that sort of thing). Your homeschooler will still need pencils, paper, pens, crayons, construction paper, folders, binders, notebooks, rulers, scissors...etc. I do not know if there is a cap on this, but the tax prep person I use doesn't blink when I hand in the receipts. I certainly don't spend $10,000 a year.
    Linda