Help me find where to start!
    JenfromJena is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Help me find where to start!

I am looking at homeschooling three boys this upcoming school year. Two are in the fifth grade and one is in the fourth, it is looking like they will be promoted without a problem this year but the stress of traditional school seems to be eating at them and disconnecting our family! I didn't ever realize that my nine year old was developing a hygiene problem; the school straight up made me feel like a terrible mom for not noticing. I know I'm not but with four kids on such a tight rigid schedule it is so difficult to spend personal time with each one.
    Aside from all that, I am planning on jumping into homeschooling this year. From what I can see it's not straight cut anywhere unless you participate in one of those provided by the school systems. Which still is a tight and rigid schedule. So, how do I know if a program is bese approved? Is it better to get an all in one kit or to build your own? What are some of the best kits to look at? How do I tell what kind of learners my children are? How do I combine three different learning techniques to teach them at the same time? And is it possible to combine multiple grade levels ex. 6th and 5th? How likely are the schools to allow my kids to participate in sports if the want to?I have sooo many more questions I can't keep them all going right now but if you can answer at least one you will forever have my gratitude!!

cj1969 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Help me find where to start!

Quote Originally Posted by JenfromJena View Post
    I am looking at homeschooling three boys this upcoming school year. Two are in the fifth grade and one is in the fourth, it is looking like they will be promoted without a problem this year but the stress of traditional school seems to be eating at them and disconnecting our family! I didn't ever realize that my nine year old was developing a hygiene problem; the school straight up made me feel like a terrible mom for not noticing. I know I'm not but with four kids on such a tight rigid schedule it is so difficult to spend personal time with each one.
    Aside from all that, I am planning on jumping into homeschooling this year. From what I can see it's not straight cut anywhere unless you participate in one of those provided by the school systems. Which still is a tight and rigid schedule. So, how do I know if a program is bese approved? Is it better to get an all in one kit or to build your own? What are some of the best kits to look at? How do I tell what kind of learners my children are? How do I combine three different learning techniques to teach them at the same time? And is it possible to combine multiple grade levels ex. 6th and 5th? How likely are the schools to allow my kids to participate in sports if the want to?I have sooo many more questions I can't keep them all going right now but if you can answer at least one you will forever have my gratitude!!
    the first thing I did before Homeschooling was to check the state regulations for my state. In NJ, you do not even have to file with the Board of Education that you are Homeschooling your children. Every state is different. Time4Learning has links to each state's, board of education. I have done a lot of research since I stared homeschooling my 4 grandchildren. My son is a single Dad and they were all abandoned by their drug addicted Mother, so they went through a lot of trauma, hence the reason for wanting to Homeschool. We started last September and it is working out great! I have a lot of websites and resources saved, and can put a list together for you if you need it. There is so much out there to help you. And a lot of it is free. If you would like to correspond with me, my email address is [email protected] Just let me know who you are in the email and I will help you as much as I can from what I have discovered since starting my research last March. Time4Lerning is the best site I found. the curriculum is great and the kids enjoy the work. Every time I have asked them a question, they respond immediately. I am so glad I found this site. Please feel free to contact me. Once I get your email, I will email yo back with my phone number and will be glad to help yo all I can.