HELP! From SC public schools to LA homeschool
    Unregistered Guest

Default HELP! From SC public schools to LA homeschool

Hi everyone! I'm hoping I can get a bit of help from y'all. In exactly 2 weeks and 5 days my family will be relocating from SC to LA for my husband's new job. (I know, short notice!!) We've decided that homeschooling would be a better option for our family.

I know that I must send a letter to the DOE stating that I'm a private home school not seeking accreditation and will run for 180 days but because it's Feb do I still word it the same? I'm a little lost on how to handle things from SC right now. Her last day here will be Feb 22 and by Feb 25 she will need to be doing some sort of schooling.

With all that being said, any information in regards of how I should handle this would be greatly appreciated!

MamaTeacher22 is offline Junior Member

Hi there! Glad to "meet" you, and welcome to Louisiana and the wonderful world of homeschooling!

I won't be as much help as others may be, but here's my 2 cents:

Yes, you'll need to send a letter to the LSDOE stating that you're a private school not seeking approval. You need to include the name of your school, the number of students, and that you'll be operating for 180 days (just like you said). I *think* you have 10 days after the beginning of your homeschool year to do this, but I could be wrong on that. There are tons of answers in other threads here, you may want to check them out. There are a lot of knowledgeable women here who really know their stuff, and just browsing through the forums has helped me immensely.

I would think that since you're beginning in February that you'll just have to send in another letter at this same time next February stating the same thing (or at least that's what I was told by the woman at LSDOE when I inquired about switching from the Home Study program to the PSNSA option). That'll ensure that you have 180 days of schooling. Or, you could possibly wait until mid-September or so and send the letter (you should be able to get in 180 days of school during that time if you don't take winter, spring, and summer breaks like public schools do). That would put you closer to being on a "regular" school schedule, and it might make it easier to remember.

I could be totally wrong about this, but I don't think I am. Whichever option you choose is totally up to you. I decided to wait until August simply because I like to follow the traditional school schedule, but you may want to just begin your school year in February every year.

I hope that helped at least a little, and let us know how everything works out!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi and welcome!
    You might have to check with the DOE regarding number of days since it is Feb. Theoretically you could use the 180 days, but you can't get in 180 days before the 2013-2014 school year starts (usually early August in most of Louisiana). Just check with them, you should be able to get the answer to this by phone.

Also, I would send in another letter with the 180 day number at the beginning of the new public school year. That way you get sync'd up with the DOE and then there are fewer worries.

I know that wasn't a definite answer, but checking with the DOE will get you the most legal answer. Don't forget when you move withdraw your kids from SC that you can ask for their records to be sent to their new "private school" (your home address!) in Louisiana. That letter does 2 things for you, gets a record transfer and officially withdraws them from SC school system so that mid March they are not looking for you because your kids missed 2 weeks of school in SC!

Good luck with school, the move, and the new job!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Unregistered Guest

I'm a little late to this discussion but I hope I can help.

http://www.louisianaschools.net/lde/uploads/18522.pdf

This link has sample letters. They used to have a link to a sample mid year letter but its not working. Perhaps contact them and ask for a copy. From what I remember, it said the dates enrolled in another school and then the date your homeschool starts. The dates from the previous school count towards the 180 days. Laws

Unregistered Guest

I forgot to add that my daughter is 5 and is in Kindergarten. I was reading somewhere that LA doesn't require you to actually report it until they are 7 but I could be wrong on that?

She ended up not being able to start homeschooling on the 25th because things were so hectic in us trying to find a home that week. Last Monday the 4th was her 1st day of doing T4L. A little rough start but now it's good now that I've figured out how to bypass everything she'd learned previously in school.

I still haven't sent the letter yet as I just remembered... yikes, bad mama!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi,
    You are right that you don't have to send in information until your child is 7 years old. That being the case, you might not want to have your child registered "in the system" until closer to that age. That means you don't have to send the letter if you don't want to, because she is not of compulsory attendence age yet. If you send it this year, you will have to continue to send every year. Once you are on record, you have to keep being on record, you would not be able to skip age 6 year notification and then re-enter the "system" at 7.
    Of course, I'm not a lawyer, and so all I can do is tell you my interpretation of the law. You will need to confirm that information!!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!