High School Questions
    Unregistered Guest

Default High School Questions

I am thinking about taking my son out of public school and homeschooling him this school year because he fell behind and failed the 10th grade. He wants to be able to graduate with his senior class next year so I was wondering if anyone knows if he works really hard, would he be able to catch up on the classes that he failed and possibly be able to graduate at the same time that he was supposed to? I've been looking into several different home school programs and I am trying to find the perfect fit. Thank you!!

Robin is offline Senior Member

Hi and welcome to Time4Learning! If I'm understanding correctly, you want him to complete 10th, 11th and 12th by next spring? With Time4Learning, your student can go at his own pace. It will take a lot of work to get through 3 grade levels in 1 year, but parents do have the right to skip their child around. You may find that he already knows something well enough, and may be able to skip those lessons. One thing to remember is that Time4Learning is not a school, so it's up to the parents to award the diploma when he's completed the course of study you decide on, as well as create any transcript that may be necessary for college. You can get more information about homeschooling a high school student at LetsHomeschoolHighschool.com.

I've just graduated one of my daughters and have two in high school, so please feel free to ask me any questions and I'll try to help as much as possible!

Herstorygirl2 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: High School Questions

Hi there,
    So, I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly... Does your son want to return to school and graduate with his class or does he simply want to graduate on time? The second option will prove difficult, but is doable; the first option is pretty much impossible.

I will tell you that if you want your son to have a diploma, then he will need to use an accredited, state-approved curriculum. This takes considerable time, and unfortunately, most accredited curriculums have a set pace and limit how quickly the work can be finished. We used an online, accredited curriculum for high school with my oldest daughter, and she was not allowed to complete an entire year of school work in less than (I think it was) six months.

Now, if your son just wants to graduate on time -- he doesn't care if it's with his actual classmates, and a diploma is not required -- then it most certainly is doable! Mind you, it will take a lot of discipline and hard work, on both your parts, but it can be done. It's important that you understand: Trying to complete multiple grades in one year will require very long school days and very few breaks or "vacation days" if you want him to finish on time. Also, when the work is complete, he will need to take the GED as well as the ACT. He will not receive a high school diploma.

While this is not a deal-breaker for most people, it is something to consider if he is planning on going to college. Some colleges are very particular about accepting students with GED's instead of high school diplomas. This is the reason we switched from traditional homeschooling to an online accredited program for our oldest before she reached 10th grade. We definitely wanted her to have a diploma.
    I hope this helps you (and made sense). Good luck with your school year!