A List: Louisiana Field Trips
    MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default A List: Louisiana Field Trips

Now that the press of getting school started for the year is easing and we settle into a routine, the next thing you might want to turn your attention to is field trips! Wow! First, letís consider state parks. Between the state parks, wildlife management areas, and wildlife refuges, we have such a wealth of state sponsored places. Here is a list of Louisiana State Parks. Letís get a little buzz going here about the state parks and what there is to do in them. If you have been to any of our state parks and would like to give us an idea of what they are like, please, please, please feel free to jump right in here and tell us what you think. Iím going to start with the one review of Grand Isle State Park.
    Linda
    Rep, Moderator, andÖ
    Homeschooler of one!

Grand Isle State Park….
    This park gets great reviews. There is plenty of beach, great for wading, playing in the water, crabbing, etc. There is a nature trail, and camping facilities. I spent a lot of the weekends of my childhood playing at this beach. Now, it is not like the more popular beaches of Biloxi, MS, or Gulf Shores, AL, but I can tell you that whole lot of fun can be had a beaches whose sand is not so white! Because of the Mississippi River, the sand there is well, you know….sand colored. There is a visitor center, and rentals for canoes. It was closed down for a while with the oil spill, but I think they are back in business now. Louisiana could sure benefit from a little bit of good press and a little bit of local tourism. Check out Grand Isle State Park!!

Linda
    Rep, nmoderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!

The Louisiana State Arboretum in Ville Platte is 300 acres of native plants and animals. It is the first state sponsered Arboretum in the South. It is nice to be first in something good, isn't it?! Every weekend some activity is offered for children and adults. There are miles of trails, ranging from paved walk-ways to more rugged trails through the woods.
    You should consider this for a weekend outing if it fits your schedule and area.

Linda
    Rep, Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!
    Homeschooling on the Web!

What is your favorite summer field trip? Ok, maybe let's broaden that question What is your favorite field trip of all time?
    I'm putting a challenge out there for you guys....would you list just one field trip you enjoyed? Name it and tell us why you loved it! Jump on in there and share your experiences with us, we can all benefit!!

Linda
    State Rep,
    Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!

Dawney1011 said:
    While I'm not sure if it would even be considered a field trip, Kylie and I just love going to the Louisiana Art and Science Museum. There is usually something new for us to see each time. They change the exhibits as well as the movies on a regular basis. That makes it almost like going to a new place each time with the benefit of knowing where to go and how to get around. There is even a play area for the little ones (under 3) and a craft area for the big kids. Each child can make a craft and take it home. Kylie liked it so much that we bought the yearly pass because it saved us money. Another perk to the LASM is that it is indoors!!! No sweltering heat to deal with!!! That's a big plus in my book!!!!

(here's the link if you want to know more
    Louisiana Arts and Science Museum website.)

Last edited by MamaToHerRoo; 03-24-2011 at 04:02 AM.

While you are in downtown Baton Rouge why not check out...
    USS Kidd
    New State Capital
    Old State Capital (I just went last week, it is BEAUTIFUL! Program "Ghosts of the Castle" multimedia and well worth the 3 bucks)

Linda
    Rep, Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of 1 child for 4 years with Time4Learning~!