Mandatory Subjects?
    LionandLamb is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Mandatory Subjects?

Hello, my name is Stephanie and I am new to homeschooling. I have an 8 and 12 year old. My question is "In Louisiana, are there mandatory subjects required? I have choose the Robinson curriculum, which is a self taught method of homeschooling. The agenda is 2 hours of Math, 1 hour of writing and 2 hours of reading. I believe strongly on this method but Will the state give me trouble with this? Appreciate any information.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi Stephanie, as far as I can tell in Louisiana if you are using the private school option you are free to determine the curriculum because you are a private school. If you feel that your curriculum is adequate then that is all that matters. However, if you use the home study option you may have to report what you use to the school system because the home study program allows for more oversight by the state DOE. I homeschooled in Louisiana for about 6 years, under the private school option and never once had to tell the state what I used, nor did they ask. Just remember that if you ever intend to send your kids to public school, they may be required to test for grade placement and you would not want them to not have the knowledge to test well. I hope this helps a little. Please feel free to ask further questions if you have them!!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!