Moving from AZ to LA
    Petro Family Guest

Default Moving from AZ to LA

Within the year my family and I are planning on moving from AZ to southern LA. Homeschool laws are very few in AZ, and research is finding Lots of rules for homeschooling in LA. Any help on where to start.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hello and welcome!
    Louisiana really only has two ways to homeschool. Your choice is Option 1, in which you register with your local school district and basically do public school at home. You might or might not get books from them, depending on their available resources.
    Option 2 is the private school option. This is the one that I used when in Louisiana, and the one that most of my homeschool buddies there use. Option 2 is where you notify the DOE that you will be opening a private school. You are not asking them permission, simply notifying them of the fact. You write a letter that states basically:
    1. _________ (insert the name of your homeschool, ours was Sweetbriar Academy), a private school, will be opening on _________(insert the date your school will start.)
    2. You will have x number of students attending. (You do not have to provide names, DOBs, SS#s, etc.)
    3. Your private school will operate at least 180 days, (because that is what is required by the state)
    4. Send this letter to the DOE and within a couple of weeks you will get a copy of your letter back, with a time/date stamp. This is the state's way of acknowledging your private school. You repeat this at the beginning of the traditional school year every year.
    Again, yo are not asking permission,just notifying the state.

I hope this helps, but if you have more questions, or need more specific information, please ask! Homeschooling in Louisiana is actually really easy!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

nhumes is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you for posting an example of what to write to DOE of Louisiana. I am pulling my daughter out of public school tomorrow and home schooling her for the rest of the year. We have always lived in LA but just moved to a new area and she has to attend a new school. She's been there 2 weeks and HATES it! They have no honors classes so she's forced to sit bored all day listening to things she has already learned. She also feels uncomfortable and unwelcome. Usually she LOVES school and never missed a day but since when have been here she wants to stay home daily. I'm nervous about going to the school and pulling her out (because of what they may say) but I know it's the best thing for her.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

You are welcome! Don't forget to send a letter to the school, withdrawing your daughter to the private school (your homeschool) and requesting her records.

I'm sorry she is not liking school, and I hope homeschooling works for her. Sounds like she would enjoy moving at her own pace.

Keep us posted, and don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!