Moving to Louisiana. How do I register?
    Aeriada is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Moving to Louisiana. How do I register?

Hello Homeschoolers!

In the next month we will be moving probably to the Metairie area for my husbands work. We currently homeschool our 6 year old first grader. We're registered in MS. I'm wondering once I get moved how I go about getting them registered with the proper people in the state. I see there are two options, but I'm pretty confused about the differences. Can anyone help shed some light on it?

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi Aeriada,
    I can tell you what I did when I homeschooled in Louisiana. Keep in mind that things may have changed since I moved out of Louisiana almost 2 years ago.

There are two options:
    1. Home Study- This program allows the state more oversight. You request "permission" to conduct a home study program, and they "approve" the program. Depending on your local department of education they may ask for you to have your kids tested, or request information about your curriculum. My understanding is that "approval" is automatic and most local systems do not request testing.
    2. Non public school option-This option allows you to register your own homeschool as a private school, not seeking accreditation. With this option you do not "ask permission" rather you "notify" them that your private school becomes operational. There is essentially no oversight from the state. They cannot deny or demand anything except the basic notification that your private school is operational.

Most people I knew while homeschooling in Louisiana used the private school option. That is, in fact, the way that I homeschooled. Here is the difference though...and you would have to check to see if this is still true. If your child is in high school you might consider option 1, the home study, over option 2, the private school because: T.O.P.S (the state tuition program for universities) has interesting qualifications and as of 2 years ago, private/non-accredited schools were not eligible for the same level of scholarships as home study students. Your high school student needed to be enrolled home study by 10th grade to qualify. This may or may not be in effect still.

There is now an online registration/ notification form through the Louisiana State Department of Education site where you either list your student in home study or private school.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have. This forum is not officially moderated anymore but I would be glad to answer questions about homeschooling if I can!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Liyalove1014 Guest

Can you walk me through the non public school option?

Who do I contact or tell that I want to home school? The Department of education?

I have no clue where to start or how!! It's really discouraging. My daughters four so we're starting at kindergarten but I just dont know what to do. We just moved to Louisiana and I haven't found anything I liked about the public school system here.

Thank you for all your help!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

The following is the link to the LA Dept of Education page. Once you get to that page you will see a link to Registered Non-public school guidelines. Follow that to step by step instructions. For some reason today my computer wont let me paste in replies so I hope providing the link this way is ok. I hope this helps.
    The process has changed a bit since I left Louisiana.
    Registered Nonpublic Schools (Not Seeking State Approval)
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

R Smith is offline Junior Member Newbie

The links to online registration is here: New way of registering your homeschool

CHEF of LA is a homeschool support and advocacy group, and we want to be a resource to you. Christian Home Educators Fellowship of Louisiana (website currently under re-construction)

Our annual convention and workshops are April 25-26 in Baton Rouge. It would be a great place to begin networking with other homeschool families. Registration opens this week on our website.

R Smith