Need Help Please
    sarahbrowder is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Need Help Please

We are a military family who just moved back to the states. While stationed in Germany we used the Time for learning site as a help along for my son who struggled greatly in the schools there. After 3 years of being bullied we finally said no more. No that we are back stateside we are wanting to continue with the site as a full time home school program. Now I don't know what to do as the next step to make it legal so that i don't get in any trouble with child services. I am just really confused on what to do. I need step by step instructions. I have searched the net and none of this stuff makes since. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi Sarah,
    No panic, Louisiana is a super easy state to homeschool in!
    You have 2 basic options:

Option 1 Home Study Program
    Option 1 is the Home-Study Program. In this program you are asking permission to educate your child at home. The state board of education has more say over how you do that. The trade off is that you can access things like text books, IF there are text books left. Schoos get first choice. You are still responsible to come up with a curriculum (T4L will be accepted). I am not as familiar with that option, since Option 1 is not how I homeschooled when I lived in Louisiana (we just moved in June/July out of Lourisiana). The link below will take you to the Board of Education page on this option.

Option 2 Registered Nonpublic Schools Not Seeking State Approval
    This is the option that most of my homeschooling friends in Louisiana use. It is easier, and you are not asking for permissions, you are telling them that your non-public school is opening. You are not seeking state approval (their way of saying not seeking accreditation). Below is a sample letter that I have used for the last 5 years. I have had absolutely no problems at all.
    Dr. Jackie Bobbett, Section Supervisor
    Ancillary Resources Section
    Louisiana Department of Education
    P.O. Box 94064-9064
    Baton Rouge, LA 70804
    current date

Dr. Bobbett,
    In accordance with Louisiana Revised Statute 17:232 (C ) (D), enter the name you choose for your private school here began classes on enter the date you started school this semester here for the 2012-2013 school year. Total enrollment is enter the number of children you are homeschooling here. The school will operate at least 185 days for this school year.
    Sincerely,

Your name
    school name
    address

Mail this letter to the above address, return receipt requested. Usually within two weeks or so you will get a copy of your letter returned to you with a date stamp. This is your official proof that they got the letter and that you are legally homeschooling, don't lose that letter! You will not usually get any other mail, nor have any other contact with the state for the year. You will need to repeat this procedure every year. I put 185 days in this letter because 180 days is the mandatory number of days required in Louisiana. It does not matter if you homeschool year round, all you must have is 180 days. Note that you are not asking permission, but stating that your private school is operational. You do not need to enter children's names, ages or any other information, just the number of students in your homeschool.

I hope this helps a little bit. If you child has special needs, or you are seeking services like speech therapy, occupation therapy, remedial reading, etc from the school board, you will probably nee to use Option 1. If you just want to get legal, and keep the state totally out of your homeschool, Option 2 is a good option. If your child is in 10 grade, or will be next year, tell me and I will go into the explanation of which option you need to use.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions. I know that "getting legal" in a new place is stressful (just went through it in my new state!!)

Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!