Nervous.

Thread: Nervous.

ChalmetteMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Unhappy Nervous.

Hi! I have two children I began homeschooling with the K12 program last year. This year there are more online requirements and my youngest is just not able to learn this way. With a lot of research I have found a curriculum I think she will do well with and have ordered the books. All that remains is the letter to register and the withdrawal. Only, I am so nervous. It says I have to submit the name of my school.. Do I just make one up? On one page it says I have to list the child's name, sex, race, age... Is this on my school registration? Can I even do this mid year? I feel lost and when I called for help I was told I have to submit a application??? Only that is not the program I want. Can anyone help or give me some peace of mind about a mid year change?
    Thanks!
    Sonya

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Sonya,
    I can help you, I think. As far as I can tell, you want to take advantage of the Option 2, which says that you are a private school, not seeking approval or accreditation. Is that correct? That is the easiest way to homeschool in Louisiana as far as I'm concerned. That is the option we used for 5 years in Louisiana, and most homeschoolers I know in Louisiana homeschool that way.

You should send a withdrawal to your child's current school. This withdrawal will need to include child's name, dob, sex, race, age, grade, and the name of the school s/he will be transferring to. Since you are making a private school, you make up your own name. In that withdrawl, ask for her records to be transferred to the new school (your private school name, make sure to give an address.)

You will also need to establish your private school with the state. This is NOT an application, you are not asking for permission to homeschool, you are notifying them that your private school is opening. This letter needs to state 1) The name of your homeschool 2) the date it will begin 3)the number of students it will have 4) how many days it will operate (in the state of Louisiana 180 days is the magic number). Sign it as principal or administrator, make sure to give an address.

When the school board office told you that you needed an application they assumed that you were going with option 1, because that one is an application, though for the most part it is automatically approved, you are still asking permission with option 1.

I hope that this helps, if you have more questions or clarifications please feel free to state them here. Don't be discouraged, and don't let the school board give you grief!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

ChalmetteMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you so much! I have my letters written and am mailing them certified first thing tomorrow. I already feel so excited and like such a weight was lifted. I will certainly keep you posted!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

You're very welcome! Welcome to the world of homeschooling! It is a great journey.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!